VeggieBoards banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking of going vegan for a while now, i believe it would be a really good choice both because its saving animals and its healthy too.

But i'm scared to make a decision like that incase i break it, i think i would miss too much. Just little things. I know there are alternatives to pretty much anything but it just isn't the same.

I mean when i came of meat it was easy because i don't miss anything and i only ever had mcdonalds which is really unhealthy anyway.

I'm thinking of taking the vegan pledge for 30 days and seeing how it goes.

Can anyone give me any advice or help at all?

Fran x

·
Registered
236 Posts
Well, what do you need advice on? When I started, I would think of the suffering caused by the animal products that I "craved" and that stopped any chance of back-sliding on my part. I read up about the cruelty inherent in dairy and eggs production at places like the Farm Sanctuary website and books (like Plant Roots and books by Eric Marcus). Since that had been my main reason for going vegetarian, staying vegan was easy when I'd think about the horrors behind that ice cream I wanted...and when I found soy ice cream (especially Whole Soy soy frozen yogurt)--which I feel IS pretty much the same in taste and consistency, I didn't have to crave w/o end
Now when I've accidently ingested animal products--like a pizza place that used cheese in its pizza sauce--it actually made me nauseous b4 I realized the cheese's existence in the sauce!

Now if you've eaten a lot of dairy (especially cheese), you may actually have some withdrawal symptoms since it has an opiate-like substance that is addictive. However, if you take the 30 day try, that should be long gone by the time you decide if you want to stay permanently vegan

·
Registered
19 Posts
I was a vegetarion for a long time before going vegan. I thought it would be really hard to give up cheese, because I loved it so much. What finally did it for me was seeing some images of dairy cows, and realizing that by eating dairy I was contributing to the veal industry. For about a week I had cheese cravings and everytime I would conjure up the image of those poor cows with their abnormal udders, and their calves getting fed formula in tiny boxes and then getting slaughtered. Worked like a charm! Within the month I was totally grossed out my the idea of butter or cheese.

Seriously though, I always avoided imagery because it makes me feel so bad. But it should - that bad feeling was guilt, and it worked for me. Other things that helped - trading in old cookbooks for new vegan ones, doing lots of meal planning, trying truly vegan dishes instead of just trying to find non animal substitutions for cheese. I added some more fat in the form of coconut oil and nut and seed butters. I kept lots of pick up foods around so there was always something to eat. I have always done this - bring food with me wherever I go - I always tell people I have a very particular diet and do not want to put my host to extra effort.

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Don't let the possibility of "messing up" stop you. It's better to try and miss some obscure ingredient here or there than to not try at all.

--Fromper

·
Registered
203 Posts
here is some advice...

when you decide to sit down and enjoy your next meal. think about the time you will 'enjoy' that meal. let us just say it takes you 30 minutes to eat. 30 minutes of 'enjoying' the flavor and texture of whatever it is you are eating.

was that 30 minutes really worth a lifetime of suffering and pain only to be ended by a viscious murder? was that 30 minutes worth contributing to a system that relies on treating living things as property and making them regret being born? would you want to go through all of that pain just to serve as someone's meal that they will 'enjoy' for 30 minutes?

it is not worth it to me. i could never enjoy a meal like that. i would be sick afterwards because my mind would keep going back to what i just did and what i helped fund.

it is amazing how fast your taste changes though. i remember a time when my mouth watered for a steak. now my mouth waters for a veggie sandwich loaded with avacado and tomatoes and mushrooms and spinach and alfalfa sprouts topped off with a little veggenaise some sea salt and pepper and a touch of balsamic vinegar... omg that makes my mouth water so much and i just had lunch lol. as far as the steak goes, thinking about eating that now is an instant way to make me lose my appetite which helps when i get those chocolate cravings since i am on a diet

·
Registered
9 Posts
It is honestly amazing how you can pretty much make ANYTHING vegan if you want. I agree with Fromper 100% though. Try it and if you mess up, try again. This is your personal decision not anyone elses. I know you can do it though. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I kept photos on me. Stockpiles of dead pigs for hot dogs, free range farms jam-packed and full of dead bodies, slaughtered cows, debeaking, chickens on the killing line, etc.

I used subs a lot at first for the transition phase. Vegan Italian Sausage is effing delicious. I also found a severe love of Amy's Tofu Scramble in a Pocket Sandwich. You have to be willing to experiment a little. I loved Ramen as an omni so now I buy vegan Chow Mein noodles and use buillon for flavoring and make my own vegan version of Ramen/noodle soup.

You are right, though. It's not the same. It's better.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I think you should go for it

You know, you might be surprised... you probably won't miss those foods as much as you think you will. I honestly thought I'd miss milk and cheese horribly, but the truth is I haven't really thought about them much at all since going vegan. And Alpro Yofus are sooooo good *_* So I don't even have to miss yoghurt. Some substitutes are kind of... iffy... (vegan cheddar springs to mind!) but you might find you don't even want to substitute things after a while. So go for it!! What's the worst that can happen? I mean if you do slip up, don't beat yourself up, just treat it as a bump in the road. I think everybody slips up sometimes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have been vegan for two weeks and I have not had the cravings I thought I would, when I do though I also think about why I am doing this and at what price that peice of whatever costs an animal. I really find not using meat subs helps me, I am eating new and exciting food for the first time, and loving it! Take the leap, you will love how you feel.

·
Banned
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've now been vegan for like two days lol, seems pathetic just 2 days but still. I feel proud of myself, didn't think i'd be able to kick chocolate and other stuff. But actually i haven't thought about it at all.

Fran x

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'BlackTears[x View Post

;1525954]I've now been vegan for like two days lol, seems pathetic just 2 days but still. I feel proud of myself, didn't think i'd be able to kick chocolate and other stuff. But actually i haven't thought about it at all.

Fran x
That's great, Fran! Not pathetic at all, you are just starting out on this wonderful journey.
I wish you the best of luck!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'BlackTears[x View Post

;1525954]I've now been vegan for like two days lol, seems pathetic just 2 days but still. I feel proud of myself, didn't think i'd be able to kick chocolate and other stuff. But actually i haven't thought about it at all.

Fran x
I also don't find it pathetic, but rather very compassionate and encouraging that you have found it so easy thus far. However, you don't have to do w/o chocolate...I just had a homemade vegan chocolate cupcake that was yummy and I've discovered some of my fav chocolate bars ever (Sunspire Coconut with premium dark chocolate) since becoming vegan

·
Registered
812 Posts
I agree with veggiejanie and carabdle! That's wonderful! Congratulations! Also, don't be too hard on yourself if you make a mistake, it's only the beggining.

·
Banned
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for being so supportive, my meat eating friends don't understand and haven't been nice about it at all.

So thank you, i really appreciate it.

I'm loving being vegan and i'm definetly going to keep it up!

Love all x

·
Registered
236 Posts
I think there are a lot of reasons that omnis and even vegetarians aren't supportive of veganism. One is that they may have been "tricked" as most people are by the claims of the animal agriculture industry, so truly think that veganism is not healthy. Second is that at some level they may realize the reason(s) for your veganism are valid and they can't square it with their continued eating of animal products. Anyway, I think it's great that there are forums like this to meet others who are trying to be as vegan as possible and help others when they need it. I know that vegan forums have helped me since I too have not met many vegans and don't have contact with them in person. Keep it up and keep asking for advice when you need it

1 - 16 of 16 Posts