VeggieBoards banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I'm trying to veganize some of my family's recipes and have hit a wall with stuff that requires buttermilk. Specifically, biscuits and cornbread.
I've had delicious vegan cornbread at vegan restaurants before, so I know it's possible... just not sure what I'm doing wrong. Almond milk makes it taste funny and so far the soy milk I've used has made it hard to cook for some reason, though it could be the brand?

What do you guys think?

·
Super Moderator
8,959 Posts
Trippy! I have missed your avatar!

I just add about a teaspoon or two per cup of soymilk and let it curdle while I put together dry ingredients. I don't thing almond milk has the right type of something to do it with, but soymilk curdles very well. I've used store bought as well as home made. This is like what I make, I use a cast iron skillet
https://books.google.com/books?id=I...age&q=vegan cornbread robin robertson&f=false

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Trippy! I have missed your avatar!
D'aaaww Thank you! :) I'm sorry to hear there's been a lack of Robert Plant while I've been buried in schoolwork.

I just add about a teaspoon or two per cup of soymilk and let it curdle while I put together dry ingredients. I don't thing almond milk has the right type of something to do it with, but soymilk curdles very well.
THAT'S IT. That has to be what I've been doing wrong, I've been pouring it in straight out the fridge! I wasn't aware that soymilk curdled. Thank so much. :D :D

·
Impeach the gangster
10,052 Posts
Trippy, I think Silva meant to say that she adds a teaspoon or two of lemon juice to the soy milk to make it curdle.
Or (apple) cider vinegar. That's what I use. Makes good cornbread!

Reactions: LedBoots

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Trippy, I think Silva meant to say that she adds a teaspoon or two of lemon juice to the soy milk to make it curdle.
I haven't tried that either. I've just poured it straight out of the carton without doing anything to it so this is probably the issue. Thanks! :D

·
Super Moderator
8,959 Posts
I haven't tried that either. I've just poured it straight out of the carton without doing anything to it so this is probably the issue. Thanks! :D
Oh heck! :laugh: I did mean add a couple teaspoons (or tablespoon) of either lemon juice or vinegar to the soy milk and let sit!

I thought this only works with soy milk, but I can't find a link that agrees with me. Anyone know?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh heck! :laugh: I did mean add a couple teaspoons (or tablespoon) of either lemon juice or vinegar to the soy milk and let sit!

I thought this only works with soy milk, but I can't find a link that agrees with me. Anyone know?
It's okay! I'm going to try it soon. I may take a shot at vegan cornbread later this week. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts