VeggieBoards banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a lot of brands are vegan, but are there any that you guys know of that are all-natural, and arent loaded with sugar/corn syrup/hfc syrup, etc?? I make my bread usually, but sometimes I dont have the time, so I would really enjoy some easy, bought sometimes.

·
Registered
912 Posts
A local bakery around here (Southwest PA) makes some vegan breads which are really good. I can't remember the name, but they keep a shelf stocked at the local Giant Eagle. I used to be able to find some whole wheat bread made by the grocery bakery in my old town that was vegan. Check the bakery at your grocery store - they might have something, too.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Sara Lee "Hearty and Delicious" 100% Whole Wheat is vegan. It's not my favorite bread in the world, but it will do on occasion.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zandria72 View Post

Sara Lee "Hearty and Delicious" 100% Whole Wheat is vegan. It's not my favorite bread in the world, but it will do on occasion.
Oh my gosh I just bought that! I was standing in the bread aisle for what seemed like an eternity reading labels. I had to run so I grabbed that one after glancing and seeing nothing dairy listed in the ingredients. SO glad to hear that it is Vegan! We had it with our spaghetti with some hummus spread on it. Super yums!

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Other than the obvious like eggs or whey, what ingredients could be in bread that would be non-vegan? I buy Arnold's brand rye, which seems vegan to me, but I'm not an expert on reading ingredient labels. It's not the healthiest, but it's healthier than white, and better tasting to me than most whole wheat breads. Maybe I'm just being a stereotypical Jew in gravitating towards the rye bread.

--Fromper

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post

Other than the obvious like eggs or whey, what ingredients could be in bread that would be non-vegan? I buy Arnold's brand rye, which seems vegan to me, but I'm not an expert on reading ingredient labels. It's not the healthiest, but it's healthier than white, and better tasting to me than most whole wheat breads. Maybe I'm just being a stereotypical Jew in gravitating towards the rye bread.

--Fromper

Honey is the only other one I can think of.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Watch out for mono and diglycerides and the dreaded added vitamins that could be added from animal sources. Contact the company if unsure.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My problem with bread is the amount of sodium in a slice. I have hypertension and try to limit sodium intake. I eat like an underfed pig and two slices of bread, for a sandwich, at close to 400mg sodium would do nothing for my appetite. Therefore, I don't eat bread. Anybody know of a source for low sodium bread, short of making it myself?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Ezekiel has a low sodium version. Also, our Trader Joe's in CA carried a very low sodium bread. (Here in Indiana, they don't - they claim it molds too quickly). DH is on a low sodium diet too, and eats a lot of bread. We used to have a local brand that worked, but our store stopped carrying it. So now he usually eats the 150 mg/slice stuff.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts