VeggieBoards banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on the speech team at my school and I planned on preforming a cut from Gary Yourofsky's speech. I understand that a lot of his speech is somewhat intense and some people may accuse me of attacking them so I cut that out. I'm also afraid that I will place badly in tournaments because people will not agree with me or think I'm some insane/crazy person. (even though I think meat eaters are insane!)

But I'm really afraid to preform the speech because I'm afraid I'll offend people. I want to do this SO badly though. Do you think people would be offended by this? My speech coach is a meat eater and I don't think she will be very fond of my selection.

Any advice?

·
Impeach the gangster
10,052 Posts
I'm not familiar with Yourofsky's speech, but if you agree with what he says, go ahead and perform it. Your peers (including your teacher) will respect you more for saying what you think, than if you try to pander to them. And, if your heart is in it, you may win! Nothing ventured, nothing gained, as they say.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I think you should write and perform the speech you want. This isn't attacking people. You can state your case without attacking others which it sounds like you are sensitive to do.

I wasn't on a team but took a speech class in high school. It was really hard on me. One day a classmate did a speech on war memorabilia including nazi memorabilia. It made me cringe. And I don't believe the teacher had any issues with it.

You have the right to do the speech you want.

·
Impeach the gangster
10,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spang View Post

Yourofsky's speech:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=es6U00LMmC4
I had heard of Yourofsky, because of his arrests, but never got his name. Glad I got to see him speak. Thanks for the vid. It's food for thought.

I see nothing in this that would be offensive to anyone.

·
Registered
892 Posts
If anyone would get offended about a vegan doing a speech like that they would need to take their head out of their bum. I find omni's play the "I'm offended" card when they mean you've made them question their lifestyle choices. Yourofsky's speech is very tactful and in no way attacking other people's beliefs I see no reason for anyone to get offended.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegansarawr View Post

If anyone would get offended about a vegan doing a speech like that they would need to take their head out of their bum. I find omni's play the "I'm offended" card when they mean you've made them question their lifestyle choices. Yourofsky's speech is very tactful and in no way attacking other people's beliefs I see no reason for anyone to get offended.
Trust me, some people will get offended by the slightest hint that their animal consumption might be unethical. They will latch onto things like the holocaust and slavery comparisons, the "what is your excuse now?" and so on as reasons to be outraged. I'm not saying they're right to be offended or that they should be pandered to, but it's something to expect and be aware of.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Which would rather do more: speak your mind and give the speech you want or place well in the tournaments?

If giving the speech is more important than placing, then give it and to hell with whomever you offend.
If placing is more important than giving the speech, then pick another speech.

But I can't imagine that a speech competition isn't unaccustomed to topics that are potentially offensive and they might be more receptive than you think, if not of the message but of your performance.

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nayrocks719 View Post

I'm on the speech team at my school and I planned on preforming a cut from Gary Yourofsky's speech. I understand that a lot of his speech is somewhat intense and some people may accuse me of attacking them so I cut that out. I'm also afraid that I will place badly in tournaments because people will not agree with me or think I'm some insane/crazy person. (even though I think meat eaters are insane!)

But I'm really afraid to preform the speech because I'm afraid I'll offend people. I want to do this SO badly though. Do you think people would be offended by this? My speech coach is a meat eater and I don't think she will be very fond of my selection.

Any advice?
Within the first ten minutes I heard him say stuff that enrages VBers when I post it, so yeah, I'd say you will probably be offending everyone but the most hard core AR activists. But don't let that stop you.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
I just watched the speech and Q & A. This guy is a pretty powerful speaker. Hope at least SOME of the students get the message.

·
Registered
236 Posts
this speech made me a vegan

·
Registered
236 Posts
Yourofsky's i mean. a few months ago

·
Registered
96 Posts
He's my hero. I think you should go for it, rehearse with friends! It is an educational video. Are you planning to show the same videos he did?

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nayrocks719 View Post

My speech coach is a meat eater and I don't think she will be very fond of my selection.
If she's ok with you doing non-original work, and there's no chance of you getting marked down for having a controversial topic then go for it. When everyone wants to beat the **** out of you after school for it, you can tell them "Gary said it, not me!"

·
Registered
153 Posts
Thank you for posting that video! I had never seen any of his speeches before. Unfortunate timing, as I have a horrible cold and I cry any time I have to see animal abuse, so I haven't been able to breathe for the last hour. :/ I will be passing along the speech to friends and family as well.

I think it's a great speech to do, even in front of meat eaters. It is fact based and informative. Meat eaters may be offended, but sometimes the truth hurts. I have always said that if most meat eaters had to actually watch first hand where their meat comes from, or do it themselves, there would be a lot more vegetarians in the world!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you for the input!

I have to do a non-original speech for the event that I chose. The event is preforming a speech that was previously made. I cut out most of the speech because it can only be 10-11 minutes. I'm just nervous because she told me "well, not everyone is an avid vegetarian like you are" which really concerned me. I love Gary Yourofsky and he's just a huge inspiration to me, and even if I opened the mind of just one person, I would feel like I did a great job.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts