VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up the Tofutti sour cream today to try. It didn't even make it to my potato. It smelled like glue to me, and it didn't taste much better.
I had good luck (unexpectedly) with daiya cheese so I had high hopes for finding other vegan dairy products. So far I haven't liked any of the Tofutti products i've tried yet.

My boyfriend liked it so I just gave it to him. Are there any other brands out there that might be better?

·
Registered
889 Posts
Crap. I just bought this yesterday! Couldn't you have been quicker about posting? jk

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoBravo View Post

Crap. I just bought this yesterday! Couldn't you have been quicker about posting? jk
Sorry! My boyfriend liked it just fine, so maybe you will too. It might have been ok once I mixed it in food, but I didn't want to ruin my entire baked potato by trying it.

·
Riot Nrrrd
3,180 Posts
I just avoid the issue and use plain soygurt when a recipe calls for dairy sour cream. You'd never mistake it for sour cream, but it hits the important points - it is sour (I know folks that up the sourness with lemon juice, but I don't bother) and it is creamy.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Good point about the lack of sour-ness in Tofutti sour cream. I knew it was missing something. I still use it occasionally, but I might mix it with a little lemon juice next time
Great idea!

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I make my own using the Vegan On The Cheap recipe. It's great for cooking with and as topping on things like nachos and potato.

·
Registered
582 Posts
If you don't like Tofutti, there's another brand of cream cheese made by Galaxy foods called 'vegan cream cheese'. I haven't tried it myself so it's just a suggestion you understand, not a recommendation
Just add some vinegar to turn it into sour cream.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check next time i'm at Whole Foods and see if I can find the other brand, or just try to make my own if it doesn't work out. I had such good luck with cheese and butter that I hoped it would be the same with sour cream. Then i'll tackle cream cheese, lol.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Tofutti cream cheese is really good

·
Registered
41 Posts
I made "riccota cheese" combining in the food pro firm tofu, tofrutti cream cheese, spinich and garlic. Put this in my lasagna, not bad!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts