VeggieBoards banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Vegan Sloppy Joes

This recipe is suitable for a vegan diet.

Serves: 4
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes

I'm writing down the recipe as it appears in "the get healthy, go vegan cookbook", but I've been experimenting with it and it still turns out good every time. I recommend using this recipe as a base and then tweaking it to your liking.

Ingredients:
1 onion
1 green bell pepper (I use other colors sometimes)
1 (8 ounce) package of tempeh, crumbled into small pieces (faux meat, TVP, or lentils [you'll probably need more than 8oz of lentils] can be used)
1 (8 ounce) can of tomato sauce
2 Tablespoons ketchup
1 Tablespoon agave nectar (I use maple syrup)
1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 Tablespoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons prepared mustard (I use a Tablespoon)
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

Directions:
1. If using lentils cook according to package directions. I always make this with lentils, and I never think 8 oz (cooked) is enough. I recommend cooking at least 1 cup dried lentils and just incorporating as much as you want into the recipe. I've even used 2 cups dried lentils and wound up using all of it. (I did double the tomato sauce that time)

2. Heat 1/2 cup water in a skillet. Add the chopped onion and pepper and saute until cooked through.

3. Add remaining 1/2 cup water and tempeh. Saute 5 to 7 minutes, allowing the tempeh to become well-done. (If using lentils exclude this step and just add cooked lentils in with everything else during next step)

4. Add all other ingredients and cook for fifteen minutes.

5. Serve on vegan bread, buns, or even stuff into bell peppers. (which is what I usually do)

Even my omnivorous brother likes this recipe, and he claims to not like beans. (I know technically lentils are legumes.)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.