VeggieBoards banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to buy vegan shoes and have come accross a problem. The last pair I bought had a smell to them (rubbery?) that would not go away no matter how long I aired them out. The smell was very strong and caused tearing of my eyes and running nose; the smell even bothered me when I was wearing them (over five feet from my nose to feet). I had to get rid of them.<br><br><br><br>
Is this a common problem with vegan shoes, or is this due to a certain type which I can avoid? This week I went into Payless and just standing there I was able to pick up the odor.<br><br><br><br>
I do want to buy vegan shoes, but via the internet is not an option (I have orthotics which do not always fit the size I wear so I can't just say size 12 and be sure they fit. Right now I am still wearing my old shoes, trying to hold out until I find something I can wear which will allow me to stand by my principles and not get sick at the same time.<br><br><br><br>
Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
Well your profile says you're in NJ... does that mean a trip to New York City to go to Moo Shoes is out of the question?

·
Registered
50 Posts
and they use Chinese sweatshops with low-paid, overworked individuals -- please don't support such exploitation. Consider shopping online for USA or European-made shoes. For example, there's veganstore.com or thevegetariansite.com for a nice selection of high-quality, ethically made vegan shoes.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Traveling in NJ, Rockland and Orange counties in NY are options for me.<br><br><br><br>
Again, the main issue I have is the smell from some of these shoes. Is it a common issue, or is it a result of something the put on some of these shoes to make them anti-skid?

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
can you wear cloth shoes?<br><br><br><br>
it may not be feasable with some work environments, but luckily my 'work environments' are very casual.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've never noticed a smell before, and I've been wearing faux shoes for many many years. I just picked up my shoe and it smells like the lotion I put on my feet, lol.<br><br><br><br>
If the only problem is the smell, have you tried washing them and spraying febreez or something on them?<br><br><br><br>
other stores besides payless offer vegan shoes (although not as many). Looking through the newport news catalog I noticed that several shoes were pleather. Also, look for canvas or cloth style shoes (be wary of leather trim). It's usually the cheaper shoes, or ones designed for teenagers that are vegan.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
get some Earth Vegan's at wholefoods.<br><br><br><br><br><br>
best<br><br>
shoe<br><br>
ever<br><br><br><br>
lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts