VeggieBoards banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! So I've been doing the vegan thing for a little while now. I went vegetarian in August and then vegan a little after. I don't think I've been doing too horribly and I love that I know I'm not harming animals with my new choice. I really enjoy it so far and its definitely not as hard as I thought it would be. I secretly love reading labels hehe. But thats off topic of what I want to say, sorry to ramble. I'm just loving being vegan.
My favorite dressing before I went veg was ceasar. I haven't been able to find a vegan dressing close enough to it for my liking. Most other dressings taste too sweet to me and I don't like the sweet taste. I've never had a big sweet tooth. I've been eating my salads dry lately but I miss having dressing. I found the Annie's natural goddess dressing the other day and tried it but really didn't like it. It left a bitter taste in my mouth after each bite and pretty much ruined my salad. Anyone know anymore really good vegan dressings? Maybe something with a ceasary flavor? I'm starting to think I might have to make my own.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Making your own is the way to go for you, it sounds like. That way you can experiment with the flavors you like.

Here's my recipe for vegan caesar dressing. Really easy to make:
1 Tablespoon vegan mayo
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon vegan worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup olive oil
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Place all ingredients for dressing in a small bowl. Whisk until all ingredients are combined.

This was my grandmother's salad dressing recipe (you can replace sugar w/ agave syrup). You can experiment with different oils and vinegars. There's lots out there.

Grammy's Salad Dressing

2/3 cup oil (I use olive oil)
1/3 cup vinegar (I use balsalmic vinegar and add a bit more to make it more "vinegary".)
1/4 teaspoon dried mustard
1/4 teaspoon sugar
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic power
1/4 teaspoon basil
1/8 teaspoon oregano
3 tablespoons lemon juice

Place all ingredient in jar and shake well.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Also, you could try replacing the mayo with a ripe avocado if you are going to make your own dressing. It provides no taste, but you get the creaminess (pardon the expression) of other dressings and the bonus of nutrition that mayo just doesn't have.

·
Banned
2,385 Posts
this is a cesar salad recipe i use and the dressing is great

‎115 g. firm tofu (not silken)
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
3 whole garlic clioves, peeled
2-3 tbsp capers, drained
2 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp ground pepper
1/4 tso salt
water or olive oil as needed
4 heads Romaine lettuce
2 cups croutons

In the blender or food processor, blend tofu, lemon juice, garlic, capers, nutritional yeast, mustard, pepper and salt. Add water or olive oil as needed to thin out. The consistency should be creamy but not so thich that you can't pour it. Tweak the flavor with the various ingredients to your liking. The dressing can be stored in an airtight container and refrigirated to up for one week.
Tear lettuce into bite sizze pieces, and add to a ;arge bowl. Add the dressing and croutons and toss to combine.

·
Registered
668 Posts
How about a really good, imported olive or walnut oil with some flavored balsmic vinegar? Maybe some crushed garlic and herbs? Just experiment until you make something you love. At least with homemade, you can make it really healthy and you don't have to worry about all of those nasty chemicals that are probably in the bottled dressings.

Laura

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone. I'll have to try out all the recipes and see which ones I like. I kinda like the idea of making my own anyway.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Whole Foods sells a prepared vegan ceasar dressing. You might want to try picking up a bottle and trying that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.