VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some new running shoes, and want to get some without leather. I was hoping to buy them locally, but haven't had much luck, so I may have to order some online, unfortunately. The most annoying thing is that they never say anywhere, on the shoes or the box, what they are made out of, and the clerks never have a clue, so you have to do research before you go shopping. So does anybody have any recommendations of brands/styles? I've heard that New Balance is supposed to be good, although I've never worn that brand.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I would second Montrail - I always see them listed on sites ...

I have New Balance sneakers ... some of theirs are vegan ... at least the fabrics are .... I don't know about the glues.

Here's some other sites ...

http://www.veganessentials.com

also look at the links on Sarah Kramer's website .... the diva of vegan cookbooks ... http://www.govegan.net/frameset.htm

Good Luck!

Let us know what you end up with!

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Many New Balance shoes are leather-free, but not all. After trying some on locally, I just bought a pair. Now I just need to find the time to actually go jogging.

--Fromper

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post

Many New Balance shoes are leather-free, but not all. After trying some on locally, I just bought a pair. Now I just need to find the time to actually go jogging.

--Fromper

I believe that NB used to be the only big sports brand to make 100% of its shoes in the USA (that is to say, not in sweatshops in Indonesia). I do not know if this is still the case though.

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zatopek View Post

I believe that NB used to be the only big sports brand to make 100% of its shoes in the USA (that is to say, not in sweatshops in Indonesia). I do not know if this is still the case though.
Their shoes have a label bragging about being assembled in the USA, but they admit that they do get some of their materials from overseas. So it's not totally true any more, but they're still better than most companies.

--Fromper

·
Registered
72 Posts
The last pair of running shoes that I bought were Montrail. I looked locally, but couldn't find a pair that I liked. However I ended up buying them on the web here. They have held up much better than expected and even carried me through a ton of hiking/trail running in Shenendoah.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts