VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a half-slumber the other day, I was daydreaming about SunnyK's Vegan Restaurant. I was imagining what would happen if (all financial concerns aside-- let's say I was a billionaire and doing this just for fun) I didn't bother to mention anywhere that the restaurant was vegan. Say I listed "lasagna" or "hot dogs" on the menu without pointing out that meat, etc., was not involved.

My vision evolved into an unpleasant scenario in which I got sued for not serving "real" hotdogs. (Even though these can apparently be made out of anything).

I also had a funny vision of a customer asking for something to be topped with cheese, and some poor waitress trying to explain that there simply was no cheese in the restaurant.

What do you think would happen?

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
There's a restaurant near me called Jane Bond that's quietly vegetarian -- they don't serve any meat or eggs (they do serve dairy) but it doesn't say anywhere on the restaurant or on the menu that it's vegetarian. Their food is awesome and I've brought friends there without their noticing the total lack of meat on the menu.

Reminds me of this Simpson's quote:

Lisa: The whole world wants me to eat meat. I can't fight it anymore.

[She musters her resolve and bites into a hot dog. Yells.]

There! Is everybody happy now?

Apu: I take it from your yelling that you like my tofu dogs?

Lisa: Tofu?

Apu: Oh yes. No meat whatsoever. And only thrice the fat of a normal

hot dog. I made the switch and nobody noticed.

Lisa: But why, Apu?

Apu: Of course I am a vegetarian. Haven't you ever seen my tee-shirt?

[Holds up a tee-shirt that depicts a cow with slash over it and

the words "Don't Have A Cow, Man!"]

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
I've also been thinking about my own restaurant.

Loki's Carrot Ranch, Loki's House of Eating, and The Inpenetrable Fortress of Death are all names i've got in mind for a Blackpool based vegetarian restaurant.

Right now, it's a dream of my own to set up a vegetarian restaurant in Blackpool. I'm not aware of any vegetarian restaurants around the Blackpool area, so I'd have quite a good market. But Blackpool is very much a white trash area, and I'm not so sure that there'd be that many customers who'd be willing to give it a shot, except for vegetarians and people who get dragged there by vegetarians.

My culinary expertise isn't very good, so i'd need to work on that. And actually starting this kind of thing would be difficult as well. But I have a reason to believe that it would be good.

Anyway, it would be extremely cool to run a veg*n restaurant. I'm not sure if anyone would want to go for falafel at the inpenetrable fortress of death though, even if it does sound like such a cool name.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
I've thought of starting a restaurant too! And like you said, Sunny, I wouldn't necessarily tell it was a vegan restaurant
I think it's kind of cool that I actually have support of this idea from my mom
That rarely happens. I rarely tell her my ideas though... I don't know if it's something I'd actually go for.

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
I have also fantasized about having a vegan restaurant (and an animal sanctuary), but right now I don't see it happening for me. Who knows what the future might bring?

·
Registered
177 Posts
If my company will be running good and I have much money, then maybe I will start my own vegan restaurant.

But first I wanted to do other things.

I think if you start a restaurant with no signs with 'vegan' on it, that people will not notice this. Maybe some will sue you because you don't have any real meat, but they didn't ask you for real meat.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
I got into a debate on technicality with my mom and her friend about meat, what constitutes meat/"real meat", since the term meat can be used to describe the "fleshy" parts of other foods, like nuts

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I want to open a vegan convenience store with a vegan cafe attached next door. That way you can grab lunch on your break, pick up a few vegan-friendly sundries for later, maybe a veg magazine or book... Hey, if you forgot to wear a belt to work that day, you could pick up a non-leather belt when you pop in to the cafe for your morning coffee...

I've actually started doing a lot of the research, but I don't have time to invest in such a monumental project at this juncture...

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
On the one hand, having a veg*n restaurant called "The Inpenetrable Fortress of Death" would surely dispell all notions that it's a hippyish place

But on the other, I think that it would be very intimidating for veg*ns and omnis alike to eat at a restaurant called "The Impenetrable Fortress of Death" whether it serves meat or not.

But at least it's unusual.

Epski, just thinking, that's a great idea. I personally haven't been to any vegetarian restaurants aside from a hippyish place in Poland, but I know that there are a few vegetarian restaurants which double as health food stores.

And dammit, setting up a business is one of the most annoying and arduous things you can go through. It'd be easier to just organise a bank robbery. It may not be legal, but there's money to be made, and I can enjoy a good life in Mexico forever. Or i could just make my living forever doing sweatshop labour in Blackpool. It's lower risk than setting up a restaurant.

Ok, perhaps I could have my own little falafel stand! Now that would be cool. Lower overheads, and great fun! Not quite a restaurant, but great veg*n food all the same!

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I figure I'll make my fortune doing what I love, and spend the money doing the other things I want to do, like traveling the world and helping the underprivileged (animals and humans) and opening up a chain of VegEmporium stores.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
epski --

There's a veg restaurant/grocery store just down the street from me that's a lot (exactly?) like you described, minus the belts.

·
Banned
261 Posts
I think it would be cool to open a vegan restaurant with a vegan com-panion animal store beside it.
People buying their dogs and cats things like clothes and matching handbags and leashes and booking them stays in luxorious cat-an-dog hotels seems to be getting more popular everyday. It would be neat to have a store that sold, like, fake rawhide chew toys, homemade vegan cat and dog treats, faux-leather diamond-studded collars, ready-made vegan dog and cat kibble, all kinds of more ethical alternatives to common cat and dog toys, etc. And it would be great because while doing that you could help dispell the myth that cats and dogs can never be healthy on a veg diet...while having a great vegan restaurant beside it, so like, stop in, get some coffee and a sandwich, then go next door and buy a hemp pull rope, and then go to the park and let your dog run around with his ethical toy while you sit back and enjoy your ethical sandwich.

Okay, sorry if I started rambling there. I woke up waaaay too early today. But I like my idea still.

Cassie

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So many good ideas! Do all veg*ns fantasize about opening veg businesses? We could fill a city block. I think someone on here once mentioned a cruelty-free beauty parlor, there could be a no-leather shoe store ... it could go on and on.

When I open my restaurant, the emphasis will not be on health -- it will be on surprise-the-omnis type yumminess. The health food store can be down the block.

Quote:
originally posted by Loki

I think that it would be very intimidating for veg*ns and omnis alike to eat at a restaurant called "The Impenetrable Fortress of Death" whether it serves meat or not.
Or it could be very trendy and attractive. I remember going to a bar/restaurant in Brussels that used coffins as tables and was lit only by blacklights. It seemed to be doing a good business. I think of that place every time you mention "The Impenetrable Fortress of Death."

As for my lawsuit problem, I could just list stuff on the menu as "SunnyK's favorite ranch dressing" or "SunnyK-style hotdogs." Then when someone gets pissed, I could say, "Well MY favorite ranch has no milk... " Think that'll cover me for liability?? LOL.

What would you all include on your vegan restaurant menu? Mine would be a wild assortment of ethnic cuisines and SunnyK originals. (The hotdogs are for the kids
)

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
I don't think I would ever actually open a restaurant, but I do have a fantasy restaurant. When I cook something that turns out fabulous, I'll put that on the fantasy menu.

Here are a few things we serve: Black Bean & Zucchini Burritos, Red Beans & Rice, Kale & Taters, Fresh Tomato-Corn Soup, Carrot Cake, and the all-time fave, Midnight Mocha Cake with Mocha Frosting.

Y'all drop by when you're in the fantasy neighborhood. We're open 24 hours a day, everything's vegan and reasonably priced!

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
Sunnyk, how freaky is this.... last night, I dreamed that you came to "Backwoods Central" (a/k/a/ my neck of the woods) and opened a place. It was a 2 story, with a casual dining shop/gift shop on the bottom and a more formal dining on the top. The only difference was the atmosphere and the price (oh, and all the pretty people that were filing in the doorway called "Top Notch" which took them to the upstairs level directly). One of the things that were on your menu was "chicken fried steak with country gravy". I ordered it (odd for me because I didn't even eat that when I was omni) and when it came to the table, it smelled like the omni version but it was all vegan! Even down to the "buttermilk" biscuits and the Earth Balance butter! When I woke up, I was craving that gravy and those biscuits....

I've thought about a vegan restaurant many times (which would prolly explain my dream last night). Everything from a hippie type "off the track" place to a formal fine-dining establishment and all points in between. The one thing that goes over and over in my mind is to have veg versions of omni classics. Enchiladas, lasagna, sandwiches, soups and even breakfast items (like that chicken fried stuff with gravy that was in my dream last night). Everything would look and smell like the omniversions, but taste better because it was all vegan. For dessert, there would be fruit pies, tarts, even cheesecakes and you could buy whole for later if you wanted or by the slice to go with your dinner. The "ranch dressing" would be listed as "House Dressing" which is what Ranch was called before it became Ranch Dressing and if I had hot dogs, they would be called stackers because they'd be served with 3-4 ingredients that the customer choose, all stacked on the dog. There would also be an option to get a half-order so that seniors, kids and anyone with a small stomach would be able to eat, too. On weekends, there would be live bands from around the area that would come and play and the beer (vegan, of course) would be sold at a lower price than usual.

If I had a gift shop next door (or in the same building), I would sell organic or hand-crafted things made from people that lived around the area. Scented oils, light catchers, potpourri of all types, stuffed animals, even a fun toy section for the kids. My only requirement would be that they would not be made from animal products and that they would be actual home-made items and not things that you can order out of a catalog.

But it's only just a fantasy of mine....

·
Registered
0 Posts
I want to open a good-quality vegan buffet. When I was omni, I loved going to buffets. I didn't eat particularly massive amounts of food, but I liked being able to eat a bit of 20 different things. My dream vegan restaurant would have a lunch buffet during the week, a great brunch on Saturday, dim sum on Sunday (my most missed omni meal) and a dinner menu every evening, with special theme nights occasionally.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Oh yeah, vegan buffet!!! **claps hands**

Have you ever eaten at a 7th Day Adventist restaurant? Except for the honey they use, everything is vegan, and tasty, too.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts