VeggieBoards banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... anyone have any recipes or are there any products out there that will fool all the omnis in my office? We're having a potluck tomorrow and I'm in charge of veggies and dip.. but my boyfriend says that the dip I usually make with fake sour cream and ranch packets taste different to him

hehe.. I guess I should've posted this earlier then 2:15 pm the day before!

·
Registered
504 Posts
If you wanted to use a flavor other than ranch, I use Tofutti sour cream mixed with Lipton onion soup mix. The omnis I know that tried it couldn't tell the difference.

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
Hmm.... I'm not sure if it will fool the omnis or not, but there's a ranch dip that I make that is good. It's called Discovery Ranch Dressing and it's at http://www.vegweb.com/food/misc/4922.shtml. The recipe calls for firm tofu, but I use firm silken tofu (smoother texture) and they say that any vinegar is good, but I use rice wine vinegar which gives a nice zip without being "vinegar-y" and I only drizzle in enough oil to pull it together (as the 1/2c measurement seems a bit much and makes the dressing break). The only "downer" of this recipe is that the celery seeds are a tad powerful, but prolly you could use celery salt, omit the regular salt, and it might be fine but I don't know for sure. I've seen other recipes that call for silken firm tofu and the ranch packets, but I've not really tried them, so I can't tell you if it's "fool the omni" good or not.

Also, if you're in charge of dips, you can also bring in a nice vegan salsa and some corn chips. Those are pretty good, too.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Check again. Lipton has a few different flavors. Mixing it with Tofutti Sour Supreme makes the best dip I have EVER tasted and omni's love it too.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I make an amazing vegan spinach dip so I'm told. All I do is use the recipie on the back of Fantastic Vegetable soup mix, the dry kind. And substitue with tofurtti sour cream and veganaise. ( NOT nayonaise). I've fooled a ton of omni's with this.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
years ago we would make the onion soup mix with sour cream and now i make it with tofutti and no one complains.. it is yum! some stores have a organic or natural onion soup mix.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the good ideas... I ended up getting some store brand imitation sour cream because my store was out of the tofutti stuff.. and I just mixed it with a Hidden Valley Ranch packet since I was so short on time. It was very good.. it fooled everyone in my office and I got several compliments!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts