VeggieBoards banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody made pumpkin pie vegan recipe (y'know, with tofu instead of eggs)? Was it good? How different was it from traditional pie? Was the texture much different?

Thanks!

·
Registered
441 Posts
hi there,

i made one yesterday for thanksgiving without egg, but also without tofu (i was trying something new - usually i do it with tofu). i don't like pumpkin pie, but everyone said it was bang on.

you can see it on my site (i'm a little too busy to write it all out: http://gfcf.bravehost.com under 'holiday')

·
Registered
496 Posts
Yes, I've made pumpkin pies for 3 years (for Xmas and Thanksgiving) and yes, I used tofu.

Texture is hardly different. You'd be hard pressed to notice. Family and friends certainly didn't.

That said, I'd do a test run with your particular tofu of choice as brands/types might make a difference, depending on your recipe.

I'm glad you brought this up as I need to make one that is soy-free this year. Gonna do some hunting and prolly make a test run on whatever I find (or adjust to suit), myself. So thanks for giving me the reminder with this thread!

·
Registered
9,260 Posts
Yes, it's practically identical (using firm silken tofu)! I am on the 5th time making one now. The only difference I've noticed is the vegan version will actually mold if you don't refrigerate it.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
A couple years ago I made three different pumpkin pies and brought them to work (my colleagues were prewarned they'd be my guinea pigs
) and tried to have them guess which one was the traditional one (the other two were vegan: one with tofu, the other without).

The pies looked a bit different (one was denser, another was darker...), but when it came to the taste, they couldn't even guess. And all three pies were eaten up.

So, in general, I'd say veganizing the recipe makes little to no difference.

Wow.. I just noticed how many parentheses I used in this post. Must be tired.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I know this was not the OP question, but I when I saw this recipe the other day, it looked so good, I think I'm going to give it a try & see how it turns out this year for Thanksgiving!
'Cept of course I'm gonna use pumpkin, instead of the squash!

http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/

Another plus, it's simple!!! If you make it, please let me know how it turns out & how you like it!!!

Michelle

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
The one I make is stupid simple. It's just pumpkin puree, sugar, pumpkin pie spice and tofu, all whirred up and baked off. The recipe makes 2 pies which is really handy because that's how many my [flexitarian] husband will eat in about two day's time.

·
Registered
9,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bstutzma View Post

I've made them both. I think the tofu ones don't brown as nicely, but the taste and texture are spot on.
The cooking time on the tofu version may be longer. I cook mine for an hour and a half rather than just the hour that a typical recipe states. I test with a chopstick after 45 minutes to an hour's time just to make sure I am not getting things too well done.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I almost always love the vegan version of all desserts but pumpkin pie was the one that I didn't like.
I used hip whip on it and that might not have helped it's cause since it is kinda gross.

I think this year I will make a vegan apple pie instead.

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
I think you can taste a difference. But it's minimal and not a "bad" difference at all.

I really have to watch that my crust doesn't burn, since (as Froggy said) they do take longer.

Otherwise? I think they're absolutely just as yummy and a wonderful 'substitute' for the old dairy-filled ones....

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bstutzma View Post

I've made them both. I think the tofu ones don't brown as nicely, but the taste and texture are spot on.
You could do a creme brulee like top for some crispy sugary goodness, perhaps?

~Wonder

1 - 13 of 13 Posts