VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe in veganism absolutley and stand by it as a healthy lifestyle that benefits nature as well as animals. I am against factory farming practices, I hope to see mass changes occur in the current methods of agriculture used. It is cruel and unfair, and often I don't understand the apathy of others when presented with these facts.

NONETHELESS, where do we draw the line on preaching to people about veganism? To be honest, I dislike it when people preach to me about things like religion- I'm like, look, leave me alone, I'll make up my own mind about things.

I feel compelled and certain that I want to help make change in the world of animal rights- the best way for me to do this, obviously, is to DOO it. Be the change! You see what I mean? I choose most of the time to not talk too much about my choices, to not preach, to not even inform unless I am asked or if it comes up. (It often does) I feel that if I do the right thing, hopefully my light will shine through. Does this make me a bad vegan? How do you walk this line, where do you stand on this issue? I am very curious.

lovenlight,

linz

·
Registered
117 Posts
I usually try to inform as it comes up. It always does - either at a business lunch or hanging out with friends, people always ask. I'll answer questions I'm asked and if people want more info, I'll gladly give it - even as far as emailing them and thanking them for their questions and giving a few web links for more info. That way, I give them the choice without being overly preachy.

There are lots of people who read the bible aloud on the subways in New York and I always think, dude, you're being a psycho, it's 7 am, everyone is cranky and late for work, you're certainly not garnering any support for the cause with this method. People won't hear a message they're not ready for, and pushing it makes them defensive every time. I don't want to be called a sinner by the a.m. bible preachers, so I won't quote Fast Food Nation at the dinner table uninvited.

Does that make me a bad vegetarian? No. At the end of the day, we're all responsible for our own choices. If we want people to change, we have to first give them the options and let them make their own decisions. It's more likely to stick if someone has decided to become veg*n rather than allow themselves to be guilted into it.

My 2 cents. :)

·
Registered
487 Posts
Religion is a more personal choice though, it doesn't really effect anyone like eating meat does (ie, animals, environment, starving people etc.)

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
LOL at Epski.

I agree, people inevitably ask, so the opportunity for discussion always comes up. I think people are more interested in hearing something when THEY'VE asked the question. Most of the people I've talked to are genuinely curious (if a tad puzzled). I don't bomb them with every scrap of info at once, and usually they'll bring it up again in a few days or weeks. (After all, they're constantly noticing me eating something "weird."
)

I don't get annoyed (or I hide my annoyance) when people ask the sorts of questions that seem pretty dumb to us veg*ns. (After all, I can come here and vent later!) I just take it as another opportunity to illuminate the reasons for my choice. I think a quiet and unflappable conviction does a lot of speaking on its own.

That's the only kind of "converson tactic" that could ever work on me -- I hate being overtly proselytized to. To date I have actually had one friend turn into a vegetarian, and the rest of my acquaintanceship has learned a lot more about veg cooking! Most of my friends don't mind going meatless, or including very little meat, when we eat together. I don't think they would have been so accomodating if I had been pushy about it.

I did recently download "Meet Your Meat" (haven't watched it myself). I thought it would be good to have on hand if it comes up and I want to give it to someone to watch. But I'll wait until an opportunity for sharing it comes up naturally. Kind of like ... handing someone a Bible only after they've expressed an interest in knowing more about Christianity.

·
Registered
0 Posts
i avoid preaching but love to answer questions about why i choose to live a vegan lifestyle. i find that when answering questions though people can become very defensive and immediately want to stop talking about it and make me feel militant even though i try not to impose my beliefs on others. its hard . . .

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
I don't preach. I do say "Dammit! This falafel is really good!" and other stuff that makes vegetarianism look good, but i don't go round telling people that their diets are responsible for animal suffering or anything like that. I think if I did that, then my friends would think all vegetarians were like that, and they'd have a negative perception of vegetarianism in general.

I honestly believe that people who know friendly vegetarians are more likely to embrace a vegetarian lifestyle, than thos epeople who know preachy vegetarians.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I mostly just say what I can eat, not what I can't. If you approach talking to people about veg in a way that seems positive, they're more open to it. It's that way with everything, I guess...

I tell them I feel terrific since I stopped eating meat, I have more energy, don't get tired as often, that kind of thing, and that I really REALLY like being vegetarian.

I eat a much more wide array of foods than I did with meat. With meat, you're sorta stuck with meat and a carbohydrate most of the time for lack of anything else to fix for dinner. I'm more adventurous with my cooking than I ever have been and really like it. Not eating meat forced me to look for new kinds of food.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Meat eating can definitely affect people in deep manner similar to a religious feeling/conversion. Totally. In fact, it often requires a deeper dedication than is exhibited by many people who label themselves devout religiously.

Nevertheless, I don't talk about it unless asked, except with people I'm very close to, like my husband, who is not a veg*n. A bad veg*n is an obnoxious one, who makes others look bad through their crassness. This doesn't mean you need to be a pushover, if someone makes meat jokes, slam 'em. But, you don't need to preach in the subway
either.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Quizeen

Meat eating can definitely affect people in deep manner similar to a religious feeling/conversion. Totally. In fact, it often requires a deeper dedication than is exhibited by many people who label themselves devout religiously.
I don't understand this at all. It took zero dedication on my part to eat meat when I was doing so. It took ignorance.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.