VeggieBoards banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have been in the process of becoming vegan for a month now and I was wondering, what pasta brands would you recommend for aspiring vegans?

Hope to recieve answers asap. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Most dry pastas should be vegan, the ingredients are usually just flour and water. Just check the box to be sure. :)

Reactions: danakscully64

·
Super Moderator
8,959 Posts
or are you looking for things like ethical companies?
I don't make pasta often but end up buying whatever brand has the shape I like.
I love mafalda--tiny lasagna shapes, about 1 1/2 inch long rectangles with wavy edges. San Georgio brand
Campanelle--rolled up "horn" shapes. Barilla
I forget the name but it translates to "little hats" in Italian. Saucer shaped discs, bronze cut
I like orzo to mix in rice pilafs or soups.
and the "nests" of wide fettacini or angel hair

I actually find the whole wheat or whole grain to more often have egg or dairy ingrediants

·
No flesh since 99'
959 Posts
Look into a spiralizer! Takes firm veggies like zucchini and sweet potato and turns them into noodles. A great way to get more veg into your diet and still have a pasta-type dish. I have a Brieftons and you can make different size "noodles". It's awesome!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Look into a spiralizer! Takes firm veggies like zucchini and sweet potato and turns them into noodles. A great way to get more veg into your diet and still have a pasta-type dish. I have a Brieftons and you can make different size "noodles". It's awesome!
I just picked up an inexpensive peeler that has a julienne side to it that can create veggie noodles also. I like it because it's small and compact. http://bit.do/SZ5f

I like pasta made from sources other than flour so I'm a huge fan of Tinkyada brown rice pasta and lately I've been picking up packets of Explore Asian brand bean pastas made from stuff like mung or black beans. Those pastas are a little spendy but they're so good.

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
I live in upstate New York, and the usual problem I find is that some special pastas (high-protein, high-fiber, or low-carb- I'm not sure... I think Barilla made it) have egg white added. I think if it's egg-free, most dry pastas should be okay, as Werewolf Girl mentions. And I think manufacturers must list egg as an ingredient because it's an allergen for some people but I'm not 100% certain about that. I'm not sure if some flours have obscure animal ingredients I'm not aware of...

·
Don't Eat Animals.
1,291 Posts
I got an app for my iphone called IS IT VEGAN.

It scans the product bar code & tells you if the product is vegan.

Reactions: DTASFAB

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you're interested in making pasta it's fairly easy if you have a pasta maker. For the most part, here are the steps.

1. Boil vegetables (carrots, celery, onions)
2. Once soft, take out and blend into paste (keep the stock/hot water)
3. Mix vegetable paste with stock from boiling pot, and add flour (whole wheat etc)
4. Put through pasta maker

Most pasta is vegan, but that would be the healthy alternative.

Edit: A spiralizer is also a great idea. (Kiwibird08)

·
Registered
19 Posts
There are so many different types. Like someone else said just read the back and you're good.

You also may want to try vegetable pasta like spaghetti squash and zucchini pasta. They're good for lower cal/carb options as well as feeling fresh and tasty.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have actually never come across a packaged dry pasta that had egg in it!!!.So I always just get whatever is on sale for the most part. Annoyingly though every can of vegetable soup I have found that has pasta in it lists egg white in the ingredients. So frustrating.

·
Registered
25 Posts
There is a company called Explore Asian that makes black bean, mung bean and soybean pastas. The only ingredient is the beans. The texture is a little chewier than a flour pasta, but the taste is awesome and they are packed with protein and fiber.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts