VeggieBoards banner

41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
No flesh since 99'
959 Posts
I got my first period after going vegetarian, however they were awful for many, many years. I never took any hormonal birth control for them either because I've always been scared of the long term effects. When I switched from regular tampons to organic cotton cloth pads, within 6 months, my periods were lighter and less painful. After going raw vegan, I've been, er, "caught by surprise" because I have not gotten any cramps, bloating, migraines... nothing and my periods only last a few days now. I think that's more on par with what nature intended and I think there is a direct correlation to animal product consumption and the chemicals in disposable sanitary products. I've heard a lot of speculation (though not seen any solid scientific evidence) that the more toxic your body is, the more you bleed and have pain due to the body trying to flush toxins through the menstrual blood. It makes sense, seeing as most women who improve diet and lifestyle have improvements in their periods.

·
Unintentionally Kittened
683 Posts
Giving up animal product definitely helped me but I still could be in severe pain. Animal foods have fatty acids and other compounds that can increase inflammation and I think my body is particularly sensitive to them. The only way I can guarantee that I'll be functional the first few days of my period is by taking Rx-strength NSAIDs for a week or eating a strict anti-inflammatory diet the week before I get my period and into the 2nd day.
Also, I started using a menstrual cup and cloth pads for mostly veg*n reasons and even tho I refused to wear tampons because they increased my cramps I can credit the increase in comfort from reusables to veg*nism =D

·
Registered
132 Posts
I find that my periods are way heavier since becoming vegan. I also have cramping too when I didn't before. I used to get super light 2-3 day periods prior to going vegan. I don't attribute my heavier period due to being vegan per se, but more so that I'm an anemic who is finally get sufficient amounts of iron. The adequate iron = gushing blood. I attribute cramping to just my body no longer being nutrient deficient and finally being able to allocate resources to have my system run effectively.

·
just add raisins
114 Posts
ReturnOfSaturn I think you're onto something with the iron. I've had much less painful periods as I've got older, and I use a Diva cup (and before that I had several Mooncups) which I definitely think helps - they seem to have been much less painful since I started using cups, but my last one was much heavier than normal, and I think it might be because I started taking an iron supplement in the last month.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Mine have always been awful, and I've been vegetarian since five, vegan the majority of the time since I was thirteen. Mention it at your next trip to the doctor. Even positive changes should be made note of.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Didn't make a huge difference for me, fortunately, there is not much pain most of the pain. May be because I'm a regular runner.

·
adapt. evolve. become
1,374 Posts
No difference. A lot of the time my periods were, and are painless. Sometimes they hurt. I never had pre period pain, if it's a painful period it will take a few hours to hurt after I find out I'm bleeding. Then I just take one pill and it's gone, no more pain for the rest of the period. I don't excercise regularly or do anything special

·
Registered
290 Posts
I think it's related to dietary fat as well as body fat. Keep both low (but not too low) and problems will be unlikely.

I never had cramps, my flow was always light, and menopause has been utterly uneventful.

I haven't noticed a thing except that I don't menstruate anymore.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I've always had cramps regardless of my weight or dietary choices. I'm not sure there's any correlation.
Same. I always hear people say that eating vegan makes periods less painful, but I have noticed no difference from when I ate meat.
Some months I have really bad cramps; other months, I'm OK-ish.

Reactions: no whey jose

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
My periods have gotten less intense over the years, but it hasn't correlated with any sort of diet change. Rather, I think it has to do with the various oral contraceptives I've been on, switching between brands of them, and being more or less religious about the timing when I take the pill.

·
Registered
6 Posts
^ Different people gets different result. I also had the same problem. Despite of eating vegan and do some exercise. I still feel the pain. But a friend recommended to me try drinking Asam Gelugor fruit juice. At first I'm quite hesitant to try because of the name perse. And also not economical since I have to order it from other countries. But it's worth a try. I drink it and it reduces the menstrual pain. I prefer choosing a natural way than be dependent on drugs.

·
plant-based advocate
38 Posts
It's Probably the Increase in Fiber!

When you were following a vegetarian diet did you eat a lot of cheese? Have you noticed that you have become more ahem, regular since you switched to vegan? I suspect you are noticing a difference in your period symptoms because you have increased the amount of fiber in your diet and have decreased ingredients that may have been slowing your digestive system down. So it's not so much the reduction of fat as the increase in fiber... When you are constipated it allows waste estrogen to be absorbed back into your blood stream which increases your estrogen levels. It's the high peaks and sudden dips of estrogen that contribute to PMS. I wrote about this on my blog a few months ago: http://veggieprimer.com/fiber-the-forgotten-nutrient/

·
Registered
39 Posts
When you were following a vegetarian diet did you eat a lot of cheese? Have you noticed that you have become more ahem, regular since you switched to vegan? I suspect you are noticing a difference in your period symptoms because you have increased the amount of fiber in your diet and have decreased ingredients that may have been slowing your digestive system down. So it's not so much the reduction of fat as the increase in fiber... When you are constipated it allows waste estrogen to be absorbed back into your blood stream which increases your estrogen levels. It's the high peaks and sudden dips of estrogen that contribute to PMS. I wrote about this on my blog a few months ago: http://veggieprimer.com/fiber-the-forgotten-nutrient/
I agree with your post.....

·
Veggie Recycler
556 Posts
What I have noticed is a marked lack of PMS. Again, I am like you though, I'm not sure if it's from increase in soy, or decrease in artificial hormones in animal products.

It became pretty standard for me to have extremely sore breasts, crazy mood swings, and other signs my period was coming. My mood is more stable now, to the point of waking up cheerful and resilient the day I start my period, though I may cry more easily or need more privacy/alone time, I actually used to suffer from fits that bordered on rage or hysteria. I also have hardly any breast pain, instead it's just a little increase in sensitivity.

Another problem was that as I got older, I wondered if I was developing endometriosis, because my periods could be so painful I would double over or not be able to get out of bed one day. I would pretty much be sick 1-2 days a month, though the symptoms would subside on the rest of the lighter days. Endometriosis usually results in abnormally heavy periods, and increased pain, as menstrual tissue will start to grow on the OUTSIDE of the uterus, and may attach to the bowel (typically what causes doubling over pain).

While I'm still not a light bleeder, all of that seems to be behind me. Perhaps it's a combination of factors, as plant based diets can begin to unravel a number of health problems, because of nutrients, fiber, less toxicity in the liver, etc.

·
Unintentionally Kittened
683 Posts
Anyone know a scientist? I would make sacrifices to know this secret, I can spare a kidney!
What exactly do you want to know? I can explain the role that fatty acids have in period pain (after I get some sleep).

·
Veggie Recycler
556 Posts
I'm not a scientist but it has something to do with hormones. I'm convinced women have even been wrongly diagnosed with mental health disorders because of factory farming. Just imagine what that does to a person born since the late 70s or early 80s. Eating that **** your whole life, all the way through puberty.

The weirdest part is that I started to notice a difference fairly quickly, and I think some things get gradually better with time, depending on how bad it was.

Of course a vegan who decreased refined sugar and ate a more nutritious diet will have better results. And women on synthetic hormones (the pill, the shot, things I could never tolerate) probably notice a lot less of a difference.

41 - 60 of 74 Posts