VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am a new convert. i've been a vegetarian for about 7 years, but recently (2 days ago) had a life changing experience (AR, "what is our problem") and quit dairy and eggs cold turkey. pardon the pun.

the interesting little twist to our story, however, is that no one can know that i'm vegan. i can safely say that my relatives, who stare at me like i've got three heads anyway, would not appreciate the 'difficulty' this would add to their lives. loosely translated, most of them would stay up late worried about my fiber intake and the rest of them would think i've joined a cult of some type. bless all of them, but i have decided to make this easier on everyone, and ommit certain truths about my dietary habits.

the full futility of what i am trying to do surfaced more quickly than i could ever have anticipated. yes that's right, i didn't pause to consider that everyone might wonder why i wasn't eating.

the other day i was visiting my grandparents, and took some granola in a clear tupperware container for a snack. (all they have is cookies and potatoe chips, and i was making an effort not to be weird) i was sitting in the living room when i heard my grandpa shaking something. i was about to go see what the matter was, when i realized he was examining my granola. i heard him open the lid and sniff it, then wonder out loud "what on earth would jenna want with a box of rabbit feed?"

honestly, the only down side to the switch to veganism so far is the transition period while my body adjusts to a much lower fat intake than it's used to. and believe me, when the fat is gone, one must eat an unhuman amount of bran, oats and bulky vegetables that i endearingly refer to as "roughage" in order to feel like you've eaten something. in these delicate first days, i had no concept of just how unhuman this amount was. while i'll admit, this is a deffinite understatement, i am very hard to live with when i'm hungry. things that didn't irritate me before suddenly do. in order to conceal such a mood swing, which might lead people to discover my veganism, i sat around all day holed up in the house reading. just when i thought i would go crazy, i got up to go to wednesday night prayer meeting at my church. little did i know, they were having a get together after the service, and more unfortunately still, one that consisted of all the food that i no longer eat. picture it: cake, cookies, cheese flavored everything, all of which you were putting away without reservation 2 days ago, now staring at you and calling your name. i got a plate full of tortilla chips, without the cheese dip, and baically was forced to sit on my hands the entire experience.

needless to say, i feel many semi-amusing anecdotes in the making. most of which i will find funny a few, say, months, down the road. in the mean time, i am eternally greatfull to be able to spill my guts somewhere. and it is my fondest hope for each of you that you hear a faint "moo-ing" sound in the back of your head every time you watch someone eat a burger.

right now, i just need soynuts and a pint of tofutti rice cream. and i never thought those words would leave my mouth.

peace, love, and happiness, xeno

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
good luck with your situation.

Ome thing that you mentioned was about your fat intake, there are healthy vegan fats that you can eat like olive oil or avocado

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
One thing to add: My best friend - Guacamole. For fat and nachos. Unless of course, the green color scares of relatives even more.

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by xenonesia

i can safely say that my relatives, who stare at me like i've got three heads anyway, would not appreciate the 'difficulty' this would add to their lives.
It's not about them at all. If it makes it "difficult" for them, then that is their problem; they either learn to live with it or.... well, learn to live with it.

And as has been mentioned, a vegan diet doesn't automatically equal low fat.

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
you can still have a good deal of fat from oils (olive, flax seed, etc) as well as from nice, fatty fruits such a avacados, olives, etc, and not to mention nuts and seeds and nut butters and seeds. granted, i do get a lot of "roughage" but i also get a good amount (a healthy amount) of fat. So i'm satisfied.

I do the same thing that you do--i take food wherever i can and i don't talk about my diet much, if ever. Sometimes, there is no reason to even try to convince someone! Hopefully, they'll let you be! (also, might be easier to make your granola into "cookies" by adding a bit of "egg replacer" you can make them into little balls and bake it that way when you bake your granola. It makes them look like cookies, then people won't bother you as much.

So, there you have it!
Good luck and don't forget to have fun too!

·
Registered
755 Posts
Quote:
the rest of them would think i've joined a cult of some type
i totally feel you on this one but i guessed i asked for it. i live apart from my family and when i made the decision to make the journey towards vegetarianism, i didn't inform my family so when i went to visit, they were all shocked and wondered why i decided to do it. i didn't bother explaining either, because i used to be the "bug killer" of the family so explaining how i am starting to feel bad for animals will not convince them.

Quote:
i heard him open the lid and sniff it, then wonder out loud "what on earth would jenna want with a box of rabbit feed?"
i find that really funny. sorry

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I was at a bridal shower this past weekend--5 days after I decided to quit dairy, and when we walked in, the table of food consisted of cake, cookies, Hershey's kisses, a platter of meat and cheese cubes,(all the stuff I gave up, also) and a small and lonley plate of carrots and broccoli.

Needless to say, I ate my share of carrots and broccoli.

It's hard to deal with people outside of your own food habits. Family is surely the hardest part of being veg*n. I'm lucky enough to have several vegetarian/vegan friends, so hanging out or going over for dinner isn't hard at all, but I now realize how difficult it's gonna be to go out to eat.

Rabbit feed. Hilarious! Like he's never seen complex grains before.

Good luck.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
today deffinitely went better. while real food seems so very far away, i have managed to not starve. i just have to keep seeing the faces of the innocent little animals, and i think i can pull throught this. in the mean time, i just have to gaurd my brain when a walk past a pizza joint. pray for me.

·
Registered
3,704 Posts
I know EXACTLY how you feel... I went vegan last Sunday and already have some very precious memories... My boyfriend (a big meat-eater, grrr) just stared blankly before saying, "...may I ask why?" I've also decided to put off telling my grandmother, who will undoubtedly have a heart attack and die on the spot. She's already convinced that my eating habits (ovo-lacto vegetarian, for goodness' sake! It's not like I have an ED!) are less than healthy, and I'm completely confident that the news that I am vegan will inspire a rant or two. Joy. You know, I don't see her THAT often... She doesn't really need to know...

Keep us posted with more fun stories like this one and let us know how veganism's going for you.

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
Pizza's not bad without the cheese. Make sure to check that the sauce is vegan, and then have them pile on the veggies.

·
Registered
0 Posts
it was kinda hard for me to make the switch considering i work at a pizza place and get all the free pizza i can handle..

but after a few months of cheeseless veggie pizzas piled to the sky with big fat olives i don't think i could ever go back to eating those nasty cheesy things.

i did try a bite of a cheese pizza that was a cancelled order and about to get thrown out anyways.. i figured i'd just see what it was like.. it was not even half as good as the vegan food i'm used to eating now.. once again i prove to myself that cheese isn't really that special.

veganism just gets easier and easier.. where i used to have to use a lot of self control to keep my cravings in check. i'm now finding that i have less and less dairy cravings..

right now i could go for a big fat bowl of USDA 100% Certified Grade A hummus.

·
Registered
3,704 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by borealis

Pizza's not bad without the cheese. Make sure to check that the sauce is vegan, and then have them pile on the veggies.
Do they not use any non-vegan ingredients in the crust, then? Just curious...

·
Registered
147 Posts
This sounds EXACTLY like my family. I have to be a "secret vegan" because my family never understands. It's irritating, yes? My grandpa always asks me every time I see him, "So, what is it now?? are you a VEGAN? (pronounced like the star, lol, vaygan) Are you just TRYING to irritate me??" hehe

·
Registered
478 Posts
I know how it can be difficult telling people you've gone vegan.. When i first went and told my family they thought i was nuts, my aunt even seemed to believe i would drop over dead or lose all my bone density to osteoperosis after a few weeks of it.

I would like to recommend that you make sure you get enough fat - it is needed to be healthy (though you probably already know this).. I try to regularly take flax seed oil regularly for those vital EFAs - and i notice a definate improvement in my mood and stress levels when i do keep up with taking it. Hemp is a great source of EFAs as well, and might even be better for you (because of the Omega 3:6 ratio) than flax if you're not getting much fat at all elsewhere in your diet.

Good luck!

·
Registered
142 Posts
when i went vegetarian, i never "officially" told my family that i did. they probably noticed that i stopped eating meat, and i was actually cooking. plus i've been ordering free vegan info online, and that's been coming in the mail. it's easier to just wait until they ask then just come out with it, since i am in a conservative family, that has openly bashed veggies (with things similar to what's said in the stupid things omnis said thread). i'm hardly in the mood to deal with sh!t from them.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Good Luck Jen....

i hope your next batch of granola isn't dried apple infested, lol. ^_^

after reading all this, it makes me want to take the leap with you jen, but my parents are scary too, (on this particular topic) and i'm a really big wimp when it comes right down to it...

in any case, i'm happy for you, and i hope your grandparents don;t cause any more trouble

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by chiaraluna

Do they not use any non-vegan ingredients in the crust, then? Just curious...
At Papa John's, if you order the regular crust with no cheese it's vegan. The thin crust isn't, though. It's got parmesan in it or something.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts