VeggieBoards banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,<br>
I am in the process of figuring out if there is such a thing as vegan minoxidil available. Minoxidil is used for treating hair loss and many companies use different names for what is essentially the same product. I believe the main ingredient, minoxidil itself is vegan, but many companies by default throw in other ingredients as well, making someone like me who is hardcore vegan to be very careful and sceptical.. If in liquid form product can come as this for example: Alcohol, 30% v/v, propylene glycol, 50% v/v, purified water. What troubles me is this propylene glycol - some claim its vegan, some claim its not and some say it can be either ! If a product is made to be used as foam, then things are even more complicated.. for example, I would have to sort out whether all these are vegan: Butane, butylated hydroxytoluene, cetyl alcohol, citric acid, fragrance, glycerin, isobutane, lactic acid, polysorbate 60, propane, purified water, SD alcohol 40-B, stearyl alcohol.<br><br>
I have found a company that claims their new stock of product is vegan, but then again their old stock is not as it contained emu oil (not vegan!), so if I'm buying online I would have to check with retailer if expiry dates match the new stock.. All very annoying !<br><br>
Best & cheapest way would be to go a local pharmacy where they make minoxidil on order, but again I can't be sure if it will be vegan, they too could use propylene glycol..<br><br>
All in all, beeing a vegan is an everyday struggle to find clean products.<br>
The world is to be blame.. if majority of the world were vegans as we are, then companies would have to make everything vegan and we wouldn't be faced with daunting tasks of finding vegan products.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Regarding propylene glycol, so far it seems there is like 101 ways to make it.<br>
I found that it can be derived from crude oil & petroleum, natural gas, soybeans, canola... but also from glycerin and animals some say ! Its troublesome to find out the information and one has to be sure that retailers or manufacturers know the origin to begin with.. Very frustrating !<br><br>
If anyone has some sort of advice or more knowledge regarding minoxidil brands, propylene glycol etc, I'd appreciate some help ! Thank You.

·
Registered
1 Posts
<p>Did you find anything? Also really want a vegan product that will make my hair grow! And yes, I wish the world was vegan!</p>

·
Registered
1 Posts
7 years later one can't still find a labeled VEGAN Minoxidil:cry:. Please let me know if I have missed such a product

1 - 4 of 4 Posts