VeggieBoards banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

Yes, marshmallows are named after the plant. Originally they were made using the roots of the marshmallow plant, but nowadays they are made using gelatin.

http://www.howstuffworks.com/question128.htm
Yes, If I am not mistaken, I believe marshmallows were invented by the

ancient egyptians...

They must have some know-how with the marshy type plants, as they invented papyrus out of plant fiber which grows in ponds too, it is really amazing...

Too bad folks can go back to the old way of doing things, especially in the case of marshmallows...

I am going to have to find some of that marshmallow creme...

mmmm, fudge with marshmallow creme...

THANKS for the link!

·
Registered
415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Girl View Post

I'm pretty sure that Smucker's Marshmallow Fluff is vegan, and it is found at most regular grocery stores.
When I called the company once to ask if the natural flavoring in something was animal sourced or not, the woman I talked to said that the J.M. Smucker Corporation but no animal ingredients in any of their foods. I'm not sure if this is 100% true or not, but every thing I have picked up and read has been vegan.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
My marshmallows arrived and they are quite good. I bought mine from VeganEssentials. The flavor seems exactly right, but they are softer than "regular" marshmallows. When you eat them plain, they are not gritty at all, but for some reason they are when you put them into hot chocolate. If regular marshmallows get an A+...I would give these a B+. Yet, they are WAY too expensive to eat regularly!

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
I just purchased some "vegan supreme marshmallows" today from the VeganEssentials table at the EarthSave Conference for Conscious Living. They were expensive ($6.00/bag), but they are the BEST marshamallows I've ever had!
I was never a huge fan of marshmallows to begin with, but the smell coming through the bag was so wonderful, I wanted to try them, and I'm so glad I did!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have been waiting for several weeks to purchase some of these now-legendary vegan marshmallow treats from veganessentials and they just seem to stay on "Back Order." Anyone who has tried them probably knows why. Vegan marshmallows are amazing!

Does anyone know any alternative sources for them? Some friends shared a bag around a campfire and they were AWESOME! Excellent roasting marshamallow. Browned up nice and crusty on the outside and stayed perfectly soft and sweet on the inside. I gots to get me some more of these!

Manic

41 - 53 of 53 Posts