VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I know they exist and I have found a lot of products online. I'm just wondering what people have tried and what they think about the stuff. A lot of it is pricey and I would rather know what I'm getting into before ordering it.

So, let me know what you've tried and what you thought of it. Any specific sites you've had good luck with would be great too.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I don't wear much makeup, but I do have vegan chapstick by Crazy Rumors which smells wonderful and works really well against drying and chapping. They have a website (www.crazyrumors.com) and their products are sold by most online vegan stores that I've seen.

When it comes to lotions, I'm still working on a cheap bottle of Wal-Mart junk that I've had since my junior year of high school, but I also have Kiss My Face's Olive & Aloe moisturizer, which I use on my face, neck, and chest. It doesn't have a heavy scent and it's not oily.

I order everything I can from A Different Daisy/Vegan Goods (vegangoods.com) because everything is marked down (often two or three dollars cheaper than what it retails for). They're a very, very small outfit, but there's a good selection and I've never had any problems with my orders.

Good luck!

·
Registered
684 Posts
I believe that mac & Estee Lauder are vegan... I know that they don't test but I'm not sure about the ingredients.

As for chapstick and lotion- Alba. The stuff smells great and works great. I love it.

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
I use Eccobella foundation, pressed powder and lipstick. I like them quite a bit. I also use Zia pressed powder which is really nice.

Most of Eccobella's products are vegan, but a couple have carmine and beeswax. I think all Zia products are vegan, but I've seen other companies call themselves cruelty-free in the past and still use bee secretions.

Revlon/Almay doesn't test, but you'd have to read the ingredients to determine each individual product's veganness.

Another option is this: http://www.organicmakeup.ca/ I haven't tried their products, but it seems like a really good company. Most products are vegan, but not all.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
STARGAZER

http://www.stargazer-products.com/

they own all.

I think I own like half thier eyeshadows hehe (and have had my hair most shades they sell) - they come out as vivid as they look on the site. Actually, brighter.

If you check the faq it says everythings vegan except the bleaching kit and eyeshadows (i guess thatd be colour specific, cause all mine have a 'vegan' label on the bottom..)

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow. Keep the suggestions coming. I can't wait to start shopping! (when I have the money)

So can anyone tell me some common animal ingredients in make-up? The only one I'm really aware of is beeswax.

·
Registered
0 Posts
All of Arbonne's products are vegan, and they are my favorite for makeup and skin care. Arbonne has great hand cream, and a little goes a long way with all of Arbonne's stuff. Let me know if you're interested in Arbonne! Alba Botanicals and JASON are my favorites for lotion and other toiletries. I have a jumbo bottle of Alba lotion, and it's not too expensive.

Urban Decay also has vegan makeup (also on the pricey side), but they have a lot of "non-traditional" shades of eyeshadows and lip stuff, so that may interest you, too! They even have a vegan section at the top of their website. http://urbandecay.com/vegan.cfm

·
Registered
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimra View Post

So can anyone tell me some common animal ingredients in make-up? The only one I'm really aware of is beeswax.
Beeswax, honey and carmine (Used to make stuff red, also found commonly in candy) are things that come directly to my mind.

I like Aromaleigh mineral makeup, they have a site, but I can't give links until I have 15 posts... Anyway, I love thier stuff. All makeup I've ever used either A: Breaks me out, B: Makes my pores look huge or C: Is really heavy and icky. Aromaleigh does none of that to me, even when bareEscenuals did. They have foundation, and some awesome eyeshadows and blushes that I've used. You'll find a double use for alot of thier stuff, too. It's not all vegan, but most of it is, and they'll send you a list if you want it. Oh, also they rotate the stuff that goes on sale everyday, so if you wait a bit, you can get stuff half price!

Also, check out LUSH, they sell all sorts of skin care products! Thier stuff is kinda expensive, but it's well worth it! Most thier stuff is vegan, labeled with a green "V" on thier website. If there is a store near you, go check thier stuff out in person.

Urban Decay also has some vegan makeup, marked with a pawprint on thier website. [EDIT= VeggieJanie already mentioned this while I was replying.]

BTW, I actually believe that MAC (Not sure about Estee) is NOT vegan. A search on the forum will probably pull something up.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatless View Post

From urban decay's site:

Although we are a cruelty-free company, and not a vegan company

huh??
I'm assuming they mean "free of animal testing" when they say "cruelty-free."

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alli View Post

I believe that mac & Estee Lauder are vegan... I know that they don't test but I'm not sure about the ingredients.
These companies are on PETA's Don't Test list, but they are NOT Vegan.

They use ingredients like: Whey Protein, Cholesterol, Glycerin, Urea (yes, this is urine!!), beeswax, etc..

These are what I found in online searches. I never buy these products. Epinions lists the ingredients along with the review.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I bought a vegan lip balm from a company called The Merry Hempsters-Vegan lip balm- peppermint flavor. It was vile tasting- reminded me of old fish. That was $2.49 down the drain. I would have been better off paying more money for something that i would actually enjoy.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I haven't tried a ton, but right now I'm using Bronzo Sensuale Carrot Oil lip balm. I love how it feels on my lips. My only "issue" is the size of the container. It's too big. I mean I want something I can keep in my jean pocket. I don't carry a purse around with me anymore.

I would also like to find a good vegan perfume. I ran out of my old perfume which wasn't vegan, but was a non-tested brand about 2 weeks ago.

I vaguely remember a nice scent featured at the Green Festival, but for the life of me I can't remember if it was Nature's Gate, Alba or Aveda. I really wish they would have sold their products there. All they did was let you "sample" it and there wasn't even a take home description so you could remember. AAAGGGHH. Frustrated at my memory.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I love Crazy Rumor's chapstick, especially the Apple Spice scent and as for make-up, I can't live without Beauty Without Cruelty's waterproof mascara. I usually order all my online stuff from CosmosVeganShoppe.com because they have a great selection of products.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Awesome. I have heard of so many of these but never knew anyone who had used them. It is great to hear all the reviews on the products.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Quote:
These companies are on PETA's Don't Test list, but they are NOT Vegan.

They use ingredients like: Whey Protein, Cholesterol, Glycerin, Urea (yes, this is urine!!), beeswax, etc..

These are what I found in online searches. I never buy these products. Epinions lists the ingredients along with the review.
That sucks.

What's the point of not testing if you're going to throw animal ingredients into the products?

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Hm. I suppose I can see a difference. Animal ingredients are gross, but there's something more insidious to me about say, applying eyeshadow to a rabbit.

Some other ideas for in-store brands: Bonne Bell and NYC each are non-tested and have some vegan items. Origins is the line I've found to be pretty nice. Their items are pricey, but they last a long while, and they have many vegan items, along with a good list of what's vegan/what's not, so you have to do a bit less research.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Hm, never heard of Origins.

I can see a difference, but it still doesn't make sense to me. At least they're limiting their exploitation to an extent.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts