VeggieBoards banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, I will be going vegan in the following month (3 weeks) but I'm wondering if people find it cheaper to live vegan than otherwise.

Reason I'm asking: I've worked out my budget and after paying off my overdraft and then saving money for a trip to see my sister I'll be left with £14 a week and I'm wondering if it's possible to eat a healthy vegan diet on this.

I do know that eating vegan foods can occasionally be cheaper, but I need to feed myself for a week on £14. Is it possible? And possible to have a varied diet?

·
Premium Member
8,961 Posts
Yet another great thing about being vegan- as you gravitate towards healthier foods, it gets cheaper. That's the polar opposite of any omnivores diet.
One pound of organic dried beans costs about $2.00 a lb. and grows to at least double the volume when cooked. Any meat would cost more, and shrink in size- where a pound would feed 4 in one dinner. The beans would be a weeks worth of dinners for 4.
If you compare the vegan food pyramid to the omni one, you'll see they both need the same portions of fruit, veggies, and grains. It's only the protein sources that are different.
Are you already veg? If you're still new, it'll take time just to discover a varied diet, I'd quess. It took me some time getting used to preparing foods in such new ways. Really you'd be surprised how much variety you can get in a pot of beans a week

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am already vegetarian and so far am living off potatoes and pasta as my parents refuse to cook anything that I will eat. They've actually increased their meat consumption since I told them I was veg.

Probably should check out cook books. Would give me some sort of idea. I don't want to just have to live off jacket potatoes and salad!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I live with them until the 19th of September when I'm back at uni. And my parents eat practically no veg foods. I'm lucky to get veg with my food.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhanger View Post

If you stay away from faux foods a vegan diet is much cheaper in my experience.
Yes! This is mostly how we shop and when I compare my grocery bills to my omni friends they are shocked.

·
Registered
489 Posts
What are the cooking facilities like at uni? Is that when you will be living on 14 pounds a week? Lentils and beans are great and versatile. With lentils you could make dahl, spaghetti "bolognaise", "meat" pies, soup, salads and they are cheap as chips ... (probably cheaper, potatoes are getting rather expensive..) Depending on the beans, you have soups, dips, chili, patties... lots of things. Spices and things to get you started might set you back a bit, but perhaps you could pinch a little from the home kitchen before you leave.

I have a family of 5 and if I had to, I could easily feed us for $50AU dollars a week. It wouldn't be super exciting, but could be done easily.

Does the 14 pounds include all your groceries? Toiletries and such, or just food?

·
Registered
3 Posts
oh dear. you can certainly do a lot of things well cooking veg or vegan on the cheap. there are a lot of awesome recipes out there that give you your proteins, grains, and greens on the cheap. i am assuming you live in the us? (because i hear things are cheaper there) maybe ask for a couple packs of frozen spinach and some whole wheat pasta to be bought with the normal grocery order. get some cans of beans, white beans or kidney or whatever. there are tons of things that are cheap and amazingly nutritious. ask for things in season that are on sale. you can buy any ingredient and do a google search to find recipes that incorporate that ingredient and if they aren't vegan otherwise veganize or ask for help!

whoops, sorry for the ramble. just buy cheap and fresh and i'm sure anyone here can help you out to incorporate something into an absolutely amazing dish!

·
Impeach the gangster
10,052 Posts
Vegan living cheaper? Vegan living longer!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty View Post

What are the cooking facilities like at uni? Is that when you will be living on 14 pounds a week? Lentils and beans are great and versatile. With lentils you could make dahl, spaghetti "bolognaise", "meat" pies, soup, salads and they are cheap as chips ... (probably cheaper, potatoes are getting rather expensive..) Depending on the beans, you have soups, dips, chili, patties... lots of things. Spices and things to get you started might set you back a bit, but perhaps you could pinch a little from the home kitchen before you leave.

I have a family of 5 and if I had to, I could easily feed us for $50AU dollars a week. It wouldn't be super exciting, but could be done easily.

Does the 14 pounds include all your groceries? Toiletries and such, or just food?
The £14 is completely for everything. I have to save up for a trip and pay off my overdraft, so that's all I can afford. I'll be living in a shared house, so it's normal cooking facilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippobeach View Post

oh dear. you can certainly do a lot of things well cooking veg or vegan on the cheap. there are a lot of awesome recipes out there that give you your proteins, grains, and greens on the cheap. i am assuming you live in the us? (because i hear things are cheaper there) maybe ask for a couple packs of frozen spinach and some whole wheat pasta to be bought with the normal grocery order. get some cans of beans, white beans or kidney or whatever. there are tons of things that are cheap and amazingly nutritious. ask for things in season that are on sale. you can buy any ingredient and do a google search to find recipes that incorporate that ingredient and if they aren't vegan otherwise veganize or ask for help!

whoops, sorry for the ramble. just buy cheap and fresh and i'm sure anyone here can help you out to incorporate something into an absolutely amazing dish!
No, I'm in the UK. At the moment my parents will outright refuse to buy veg*n foods as they think I'm trying to force them into eating things they don't want. So I'm basically living on what I can at the moment as I have no money until my student loan comes in

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
Most supermarkets have a value range. If you stock up on tinned tomatoes, kidney beans, rice, pasta etc you can make a lot of cheap vegan meals. Make a big batch and freeze some. 99p shops often do vegan toiletries like Original Source.

(Not all the OS range is vegan though, I nearly bought something with honey the other day.)

·
Registered
10,728 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

One pound of organic dried beans costs about $2.00 a lb. and grows to at least double the volume when cooked. Any meat would cost more, and shrink in size- where a pound would feed 4 in one dinner. The beans would be a weeks worth of dinners for 4.
Well, not realistically. 1 pound of dried beans will yield about 6 cups of cooked beans. 6 cups divided by 7 meals for 4 people would be a tiny amount of beans and nutritionally inadequate for a meal (even just the "protein" component of a meal).

It certainly is less expensive and an all around better choice to eat beans and legumes as part of a healthful vegan diet though, for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capstan View Post

And BETTER!
Better living through VEGANISM!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhanger View Post

I don't think it's any less doable than it would be for a vegetarian or omnivore. If you stay away from faux foods a vegan diet is much cheaper in my experience.
I'd say this.

If you cook from scratch and avoid all the processed crap, vegan living is cheap.

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabbyx View Post

I do know that eating vegan foods can occasionally be cheaper, but I need to feed myself for a week on £14. Is it possible? And possible to have a varied diet?
Personally, I don't think so. I'm sure some vegans have tried it but I couldn't live like that for very long. Apart from the fact that I would find it boring, it wouldn't even cover my fruit and veg bill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty View Post

Wow, you guys must eat like mice.
Most people I know were spending about ten to twenty bucks more than that about ten years ago.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capstan View Post

^
^

I found its a little pricey in the beginning- stocking up on spices and staples and vitamins. But the budget has certainly gone down since the beginning. Not buying meat and dairy has cut back on at least 25% of my grocery bill for my family.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.