VeggieBoards banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there everyone.

I'm in the process of putting together a book proposal and I was hoping that some of you might be able to help me out.

The book is about how a vegan diet can cure someone of binge-eating disorder. This has certainly been my experience and also the experience of a couple of other people I know.

If any of you have healed your binge-eating disorder by eating a vegan diet, I'd love you to get in touch. I'll send you a questionaire as part of my research for the book. My email address is [email protected]cultivateyourhappiness.com.

Thanks very much everyone!

With love,

Emma xxx

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
I'd be interested in learning more about your book. I have had diagnosed anorexia nervosa with binge/purge subtype for over six years and more recently EdNos (I am now a normal weight). I developed my eating disorder after a traumatic hysterectomy and loss of ovaries in 2005. I went through countless treatments, some forced, some voluntary, traditional and non. I went through periods of bulimia and profound bingeing when trying to recover from my disorder, and when I was a low weight. I find I still binge (like eat 2000 or more calories in the course of 15 minutes or less) here and there though it has decreased dramatically from what I used to do. I have been vegan for 3 years and 9 months and it has not cured or made my eating disorder any better or worse. I have had periods of healthy eating and stability in between relapses. I had all this as both a vegan and an omnivore. I tried going all raw vegan for a while in hopes that would eliminate "triggers" but it didn't work for me. I think my disorder is more complex than simply changing diet and has much more to do with body image/dysmorphia acceptance and the need to control it than it has to do with diet and chemicals. I think for me there is a huge connection with loss of my natural ovarian hormones and the feeling of loss of control and identity that came with that for me. It was terrifying, and self imposed starvation is what gave me back some control of my body and the hormone upheaval because it made me feel dead inside and stopped the dramatic hormone fluctuations. I also wanted no reminder of the femininity I felt I lost so I wanted no hips or butt etc. I even cut off my hair. For me, the bingeing probably resulted from self starvation/restriction/dieting. I think dieting is a huge culprit for setting off binge eating.

I have heard though that for some people it does work to become vegan and more specifically raw vegan. I have met several fruitarians that overcame their bulimia. I tried it myself and found it way too restricting and it just made me binge more. I have a friend with straight BED though so I would like to hear more about this for her sake too.

·
Part-Time Russian
181 Posts
I'd like to say Veganism has indeed cured me of binge eating. Used to eat large pizzas by myself and go back for seconds, now i dont binge-eat anymore and i've lost 40 lbs

1 - 3 of 3 Posts