VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, its way to early for me to be thinking about this, but I'm very curious....

I am very committed not only to being vegan but to being the best vegan I can be!
Someday I would really like to have a vegan family and raise my kids vegan.

Do any of you have vegan children and did any of you go through a vegan pregnancy? Although it might be irrational, I have had some deficiancies on my vegan diet and I am fearful of raising my kids vegan. I am guessing I would have to gather a good deal of information on vegan nutrition before I started a family, but I'd also like to hear some success stories.

lovenlight,

linz

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
Hm! I'd also like to add a related question...

My mother recently read some article about vegan mothers and B12 deficiencies having bad effects on their children. Did any vegan mothers encounter this concern when pregnant? I insist with my mother that I get enough B12 for this not to be a problem, but... Just wondering if anyone has any facts or stories.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
I was vegetarian for 6 years and went vegan as soon as I found out I was pregnant. I had no problems through my pregnancy, and my son was 8lbs 14oz! He just turned three and he's very healthy. I do give him a vegan children's multi-vitamin, because just like all kids, some days he dosen't want to eat anything. We eat a pretty diverse vegan diet, and he's really into greens ( especially kale and spinach). He drinks Edensoy Extra, which is loaded with goodness. I'm a stay at home mom so I have the added advantage of cooking/eating at home. When I was pregnant I made sure to read EVERYTHING on nutrition. I pretty much consider myself an expert now ( that wasn't very modest was it?!). That would be my best advice read as much as possible, so that when someone ays, "Where do you get your ..." you can give them a thoroughly researched answer. If anyone wants the name of some good books, I'd be happy to list them!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Here is an in-depth, referenced article which may be helpful:

"The Vegan Diet During Pregnancy and Lactation," by Reed Mangels, Ph.D., R.D.

http://vrg.org/nutrition/veganpregnancy.htm

And here's an excellent one about pregnancy, including infant and childhood nutrition, by Reed Mangels, Ph.D., R.D. and Katie Kavanagh-Prochaska, Dietetic Intern: "Vegan Nutrition in Pregnancy and Childhood". The article includes nutritional needs for infants, toddlers and school-aged children, tips on feeding preschoolers, choking hazards, meal planning ideas, general tips, sample menus, and suggested feeding schedules.

http://vrg.org/nutrition/pregnancy.htm

{Edited to close line breaks in text}

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! This is interesting information.

i was talking to my Mom about raising vegan kids and she was saying that I'd wind up starving them sick like that one case that occured. (did any of you hear about that?) That really upset me a lot, because I'm already so afraid to have children....

Anyway, I was thinking, if I wind up marrying an omnivore, I want to be vegan and I want my kids to be vegan as well. Has anyone experienced this for themselves? How did they reach an agreement with their significant other?

lovenlight,

linz

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
I couln't imagine being with someone who ate meat, too much conflict for my liking. My husband's been vegan longer than I have! He helped me make the switch, we had just found out I was pregnant and he didn't want me eating dairy ( I was already veg ). I gladly gave up dairy. I defenitly didn't have any trouble gaining pregnancy weight ( there is still some " baby fat" ! ). No one really questioned how I feed our son. If you're planning on nursing when you have a baby, there is virtually no way a child can starve. I'll just say as before, be well armed with knowledge, read as much as possible, check out websites. Just research, so you can rest assured you're feeding your family the best.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My vegan nutrionist has 4 boys, the last one was 11lbs at birth!!!

Healthy? I'd say so!! Educate yourself.

rainbowmoon, don't be afraid...there is nothing more natural!

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
according to Udo Erasmus's book "fats that heal, fats that kill" vegan breast milk is the best breast milk for babies reducing the risks of heart disease and other problems later in life.

so, udo recommends vegan diets for pregnant and lactating women! he wrote that the types of quality fats that they get on balanced vegan diets are great for babies and protects them as they age.

i thought that was cool. i'm probably going to do the vegan diet during pregnancy (if i decide to get pregnant) but my husband and i hve decided that the children will be ovo vegetarian--like me anyway.

yeah.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Im suggesting this book Becomming Veagn by Brenda Davis. ITs a great book on how to go vegan and how to raise a vegan child. I also think it has thinks in it about pregancy if i remember correctly.

HTP

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have been a vegetarian for 15 years, and am only recently going vegan (the past couple months). My husband is VERY supportive of my vegetarianism and veganism, and fully supports our vegetarian household (although he knew going in that I wasn't buying meat for him). He occasionally eats meat when out, but never complains at home.

That being said, we did discuss if our entire house would go vegan along with me (we have 3 young children) and he felt that it would be too hard to have the kids go vegan as well. They are very into dairy products (although have been vegetarians since birth), and he just didn't want to go through figuring out the vegan nutrition/transition with them. I tried soy milk and soy products with them, and they are happily eating soy ice cream, but the milk didn't go over well (neither did rice milk, sigh).

I feel strongly that I should respect my husband's desire to keep them vegetarian and not go vegan, as long as he supports me going vegan. I'm making vegan dinners every night for the family, and so far, it's about 50/50 if the kids eat it.

Tracey

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowmoon View Post

Thanks! This is interesting information.

i was talking to my Mom about raising vegan kids and she was saying that I'd wind up starving them sick like that one case that occured. (did any of you hear about that?) That really upset me a lot, because I'm already so afraid to have children....

Anyway, I was thinking, if I wind up marrying an omnivore, I want to be vegan and I want my kids to be vegan as well. Has anyone experienced this for themselves? How did they reach an agreement with their significant other?

lovenlight,

linz
I think nomater who you end up marrying, you will find that you have a lot of differences of opinion on how to raise your kids. I know my husband and I have. The important thing to remember is that you will both (hopefully!) LOVE your kids SO much and want only what is best for them. It's really hard to let go of some of the control when it comes to raising kids, but sometimes compromise is necessary. Just know that, even if your kids aren't raised completely vegan, they will be exposed to a wide variety of vegan foods (because you'll probably be cooking a lot of their meals!), and they'll always have your vegan example to look up to. That will influence them more than anything.

If you and your future husband agree to raise your kids vegan, but you are worried about their nutrition, I would just advise seeking the periodic advice of a nutritionist who is well-educated on vegan diets as your kids are growing. Your pediatrician will also regularly check things like iron levels and will let you know if you need to supplement.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.