VeggieBoards banner

Vegan-izing Cake Mix

2K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  Spidergrrl 
#1 ·
Is this possible? Has anyone tried? I've found some vegan cake mixes, if I substitute the milk with almond milk and the eggs with apple sauce will it work?

#2 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by disney.jessica View Post

Is this possible? Has anyone tried? I've found some vegan cake mixes, if I substitute the milk with almond milk and the eggs with apple sauce will it work?
My boyfriend does this for my birthday cakes because he's terrible baker. Excellent decorator, horrible baker! He uses a boxed egg replacer for the eggs, but I would think applesauce would do the (emulsifying) trick!

#5 ·
I've had good success in Veganizing my cake recipes, and am now experimenting on other baked goods. I use the Ener G egg replacer, but you have to use a little more fluid in your recipe if you are using it. Add a tiny amount of Soy milk, and you are good to go. I use a combo of Soy milk and the Ener G egg replacer, and they come out as good, if not better than with dairy and eggs. I've also made icing with a combo of Earth Balance marg and soy milk, icing sugar, and it's turned out well.

#6 ·
Thanks everyone! Does anyone know if it's the same with brownie mix? We have a huge pack of brownie mix and the mix itself is vegan so it would be great to be able to replace the eggs as easily as using apple sauce or bananas, but since brownies are a different texture than cake I'm not sure if it would come out the same.

#8 ·
no boxed brownie mixes DON'T work.......I've never had any luck replacing the eggs with egg replacer either....it made a very oily, soft mushy mess. I just had a conversation recently, that that is the one thing I MISS, is eating boxed brownie mix batter (without the eggs) and then making them with eggs (as an omni). I still have not had a good- just like a brownie mix brownie yet, being vegan.

If anyone can suggest a really good brownie recipe, I'm all ears

#9 ·
For brownie mixes, use 1 T. ground flax seed, 3 T. warm water and 1/4 tsp. baking soda for every egg called you're replacing. I add 1/2-1 tsp. apple cider vinegar too.

OR, use soy yogurt or pumpkin puree or blended black beans or a combination of all of these. It works.

#11 ·
ahimsa.....for boxed mixes or a real recipe? I had nothing but a yucky mess using egg replacer and either the Duncin Hines or BC brownie mixes

#15 ·
For the boxed brownie mixes, I've used applesauce to make gooey ones, but tofu made more "cakey" ones.

#17 ·
A couple of tablespoons/egg works usually, but I think you have to mess around a bit, maybe.

#19 ·
the soda works well, and the pumpkin with a chocolate or a spice cake works really well too!

#20 ·
I have to get some pumpkin.
Is it just one standard can of pumpkin puree per normal box of cake mix? If so, that's really simple! Maybe I can even convince my omni family members to do this just for the sake of convenience to secretly cut down their use of animal products

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

A couple of tablespoons/egg works usually, but I think you have to mess around a bit, maybe.
Thanks!
I'll try that when I don't feel like gooey brownies

#21 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by disney.jessica View Post

I have to get some pumpkin.
Is it just one standard can of pumpkin puree per normal box of cake mix? If so, that's really simple! Maybe I can even convince my omni family members to do this just for the sake of convenience to secretly cut down their use of animal products
Yep just one of those normal size cans of pumpkin puree. Just mix it with the cake mix and that's it! You don't need any other ingredients at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.