VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm going to Rome in a couple of weeks for the first time since I've become vegan. I've done a bit of searching and I've got the addresses of a few veggie/vegan restaurants. My problem is that I'll be going with my husband who isn't vegetarian and though hes happy to eat at vegetarian restaurants occasionally we will also be eating at regualr restaurants. My question is how will I know from a menu if the pasta is made from egg or wheat? I don't speak any italian! Is there anything else I should watch out for? I'd appreciate any advice. Cheers. X

·
Registered
6,032 Posts
I went to Rome with my wife this last summer. We had a list of vegan/veggie places, but didn't make it to them all. One had odd hours and wasn't open when it said it would be open. Another had to have a reservation for several days in advance.

I can't help too much with the egg in the pasta. (sorry) My wife speaks spanish and learned how to say no egg and no cheese (or dairy), as well as saying that we were vegetarians. We did find that maybe half the restaurants we went to, someone spoke english. And occasionally someone could kind of speak spanish, and my wife could communicate. Or my wife would talk in spanish and they'd talk in italian, and there would be some form of communication and we hoped for the best...

I know some sauces for pasta dishes are cooked in chicken broth (not common though), but now I can't remember which. At one point we were part of a group, and some of the people could speak Italian. They'd help us and would usually warn us about the food.

In general it wasn't too bad, since we also went to the grocery stores and bought food there and made sandwiches, bought snack items, etc while we went out sight seeing. A lot of the pizza shops sell pizza with no cheese (and just veggies), so that was also nice for quick food.

Sorry, I don't think I've really offered any advice.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Hi savanna, not only is Rome vegetarian & vegan-friendly, it's fruitarian friendly too. I went there last year, and I never ate so much good food in my entire life. From wikipedia: "The high priority placed on the use of fresh, seasonal produce distinguishes the cuisine of Italy."

Like nogard said, for a quick snack you can order a pizza marinara anywhere in town. But that's just the beginning. Don't be afraid to ask the server for help (in English or Italian). They're really friendly people.

The Italian menu consists of 5 parts:

L'antipasto - hot & cold appetizers (75% vegan)

Il primo - 1st course. Mostly vegetarian (vegan w/ modifications)

Il secondo - 2nd course. Flesh. Leave that to hubby.

Il contorno - side dishes. Salads & more veggies/fruits. Yay.

Il dolce - dessert.
moving right along...

Anyway, Italy is the most vegan/fruitarian friendly country I've ever visited. You have nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi guys, thanks for the advice. How bad if I do have to live on fresh fruit and cheeseless pizzas for a week anyway?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Savanna, I don't have specific knowledge of Italy, but as a general tip I would suggest going to the most authentic Italian restaurant you can find in your town (or doing some research in the library if you live in a small place) and learning the names of some Italian dishes which are traditionally vegan. (Hopefully there are some!) This way when you go to a restaurant in Italy you can just ask for a ____ (fill in the blank with the dishes you've tried at home), instead of having to engage into complicated discussions in a language you don't speak. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Io sono una Vegana ... I am a vegan

Egg = ouvo -- pronounced Wovo

Quote:
Taken as a whole, pasta can be divided into pasta di semola di grano duro, made from durum wheat flour, water, and a little salt, and pasta all'uovo, which is made from eggs, flour, and salt.
Do you have any vegetarian dishes?

Avete dei piatti per vegetariani?

a-vaytay day-ee peeat-tee payr vayjay-tar-yanee

Is it made with vegetable stock?

È fatto con dadi vegetariani?

e fat-to kon dadee vayjay-tar-yanee

Italian

Sono vegetariano/a (I am vegetarian - male/female)

Non mangio carne, nè pollo o pesce (I don't eat meat, chicken or fish.)

Sono un vegano/ una vegana. (I am a vegan - male/female)

Sono strettamente vegetariano/a (I am a strict vegetarian - male/female)

Non bevo il latte. (I don't drink milk.)

Non mangio il burro, il formaggio, le uova, o il miele (I don't eat butter, cheese, eggs, or honey.)

Avete un piatto vegetariano? (Do you have a vegetarian dish?)

C'e' un ristorante vegetariano qui vicino? (Is there a vegetarian restaurant near here?)

C'e' del brodo di carne o pollo in questa zuppa? (Is there meat or chicken broth in this soup?)

Io amo gli animali, percio' non li mangio (I love animals, so I don't eat them)

·
Banned
466 Posts
And if you get chance to eat at Il Margutta restaurant, do! It's all vegetarian (and labelled for vegans), it's quite an upmarket place and the food is lovely. I'm sure even your omni hubby would enjoy it.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I went a couple of years ago, and had no problems. You can get pizza without cheese and it tastes great. They also have soya icecream. I went to an Ethiapian restuarant and the food was amazing. I really wouldn't worry about it too much. Outside of Rome it's a bit hard, but in Rome you really shouldn't have any problems.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I went a couple of years ago, and had no problems. You can get pizza without cheese and it tastes great. They also have soya icecream. I went to an Ethiapian restuarant and the food was amazing. I really wouldn't worry about it too much. Outside of Rome it's a bit hard, but in Rome you really shouldn't have any problems.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Hi, I had an Italian boyfriend and spent time over there with his family- I ADORE Italy and Italian food per se, but in the rural areas it really isn't so easy to be Vegan! His family really thought I was insane for not eating animal products and restaurants had very very limited vegan options. Very traditional italian places may not at all cater for veggies even, in fact. HOWEVER Rome is very easy as there are a million places to eat there and choice is just as if you were in London or Paris for example. Enjoy, it's an amazing place.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ciao a tutti, thanks for the article, very interesting. We are an Italian-American couple living between the US and Italy, we have compiled a little report for vegetarians and vegans in Italy!!

We'd also love to collaborate with other food/travel related website owners!!

Ciao!!

VegItalyGuide.com

·
Registered
785 Posts
10% of Italians self-identify as vegetarian. Its a very vegan friendly nation. If you are worried about egg in primi ask for them to make the dish with "pasta senza ouvo". Many restaurants have dry pasta on hand, and will be happy to oblige. One of my favorite veg*n restuarants anywhere is in Rome: Arancia Blu.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.