VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What have you guys done with old non-vegan items that were around your house? I don't mean clothes and toiletries (I'm working on those), I mean like furnishings, etc. Thankfully I don't have any huge items like leather sofas or anything, but I think our duvet might be down (I have to check), and I have a few raw silk throw pillows (those are no big deal to get rid of and replace, though.)

Most importantly, our wedding china from when we got married in 2006 is all bone china (I didn't even know what bone china was at the time, but I do now, unfortunately.) We don't use it much -- we have other plates we use for everyday that are vegan-safe. But I feel weird having it in the house, and would feel even weirder actually using it for a formal meal. Can you imagine inviting people over and serving them a vegan meal on bone china??

I could give it away, but I'm afraid my omni husband would think I was off my nut if I pushed this issue. It is our wedding china after all and a lot of our friends and family contributed to the collection, so it has sentimental value. He's been much more supportive of my veganism than I expected so far, and I would hate to do anything to rock the boat.

Maybe I should just leave the china where it is in the cabinet and content myself with the fact that we really don't use it? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Why wouldn't you use them? They're just dishes, and whatever animals contributed to them are quite long gone by now. You aren't contributing to animal suffering by using them at all.

Of course, it's up to you. I know some people get rid of all their animal-containing stuff, but I didn't. It makes more sense to me to use it if I can, and buy something without animals in it when it wears out. If you aren't going to use the dishes, I think it makes more sense to give them away or sell them to someone who will actually use them. But, since it sounds like that isn't really an option, I would suggest you try to make your peace with the dishes.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnerVeggie View Post

Why wouldn't you use them? They're just dishes, and whatever animals contributed to them are quite long gone by now. You aren't contributing to animal suffering by using them at all.

Of course, it's up to you. I know some people get rid of all their animal-containing stuff, but I didn't. It makes more sense to me to use it if I can, and buy something without animals in it when it wears out. If you aren't going to use the dishes, I think it makes more sense to give them away or sell them to someone who will actually use them. But, since it sounds like that isn't really an option, I would suggest you try to make your peace with the dishes.
I see your point. I guess I see the dishes now in the same way that I see my old leather, wool etc., which I have been working on donating and replacing. I just feel uncomfortable wearing leather, wool, etc. because I think it sends the wrong message about my beliefs, since they're clearly animal-based. But dishes probably don't do that in the same way, since I'm sure that non-vegans having dinner at my home would have no idea that the dishes contain animal byproducts. Plus like I said, they do have sentimental value.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlend View Post

What have you guys done with old non-vegan items that were around your house? I don't mean clothes and toiletries (I'm working on those), I mean like furnishings, etc. Thankfully I don't have any huge items like leather sofas or anything, but I think our duvet might be down (I have to check), and I have a few raw silk throw pillows (those are no big deal to get rid of and replace, though.)

Most importantly, our wedding china from when we got married in 2006 is all bone china (I didn't even know what bone china was at the time, but I do now, unfortunately.) We don't use it much -- we have other plates we use for everyday that are vegan-safe. But I feel weird having it in the house, and would feel even weirder actually using it for a formal meal. Can you imagine inviting people over and serving them a vegan meal on bone china??

I could give it away, but I'm afraid my omni husband would think I was off my nut if I pushed this issue. It is our wedding china after all and a lot of our friends and family contributed to the collection, so it has sentimental value. He's been much more supportive of my veganism than I expected so far, and I would hate to do anything to rock the boat.

Maybe I should just leave the china where it is in the cabinet and content myself with the fact that we really don't use it? Any thoughts?
Regarding the China and it's sentimental value - perhaps you could sell most of it but keep a couple of pieces as momentos? But honestly, as Runner mentioned, you aren't contributing to any further suffering. It just comes down to what your gut feeling is. If you feel ok eating off of the plates (or just admiring them from a distance
), then I don't see why you can't keep them.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, you guys. I think you're right. Realistically, I'm not going to sell/donate my wedding china and my husband would think I was crazy if I did. I think I'm OK with holding on to it.

I do want to probably get rid of my four silk throw pillows (they're old and some of them are stained anyway, and they were just from Target so they're not anything valuable.) I need to check our duvet and then that will be that. My husband also assured me that our car interior is not real leather, not that replacing that would really be an option anyway.

Now I just have to talk him out of the leather bar stools he wants to buy.

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
I think you could quite easily push these to the back of the cupboard and forget about them.
I don't think your husband would even give them another thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnerVeggie View Post

Irrespective of the fact that using them is not contributing to any further animal suffering, just the idea that they are sitting in the kitchen as a symbolic reminder of the extent of animal expolitation, is enough for some vegans to feel uncomfortable about keeping them or using them.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishani View Post

Irrespective of the fact that using them is not contributing to any further animal suffering, just the idea that they are sitting in the kitchen as a symbolic reminder of the extent of animal expolitation, is enough for some vegans to feel uncomfortable about keeping them or using them.
I'm glad you understand

We really don't use them much anyway, just aside from the vegan/not-vegan issue. We prefer to use less precious/formal dishes for our everyday eating. I think I am just fine with hanging on to them and continuing on as we have been. If I ever decide to throw a formal dinner for twelve, maybe I'll break them out

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've been thinking about our stuff at home as well. My vegetarian partner thinks I'm a nutcase, but we'll be replacing the duvet (expensive and goosedown). Luckily you can get great microfibre ones and they're actually much less expensive. Trying to convince the shop assistant why you don't want the down one is another matter.

However the leather couch is not going anywhere at this point as it was his purchase and is only a year old. We'll wait until it dies ( or the cats kill it) and get the one I really wanted.

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
Its good to recognize the non-vegan items in your house and life in general, but dont worry too much about these items that have sentimental value or that you need to use (like for work) that were purchased before you went vegan.

What is most important is not to continue purchasing the non-vegan items, especially since you are now aware of the cruelty associated.
Like the leather barstools, I would put my foot down about that one for sure!

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
This is how I feel about items of unethical or of questionable ethical sources: It's already been bought. In some cases it's already been used. Get rid of whatever you know you're not going to use, whatever has little or no meaning to you, and keep the rest. And make an effort to keep your home free of any new items of this type. Put the word out to family, relatives, friends that you don't want anything in your home that you feel is unethical, such as wool or leather as a way of avoiding gifts that you won't want to keep for that reason.

In my case, it's wool items. I have some wool sweaters that I don't wear anymore, so those are going. But I also have an old, tired-looking wool blanket that my cats love to sleep on because it's warm. I'm keeping the blanket for that purpose.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts