VeggieBoards banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I have recently returned to being vegan after a 5 month break while living on campus on my university (I tried staying vegan but got very sick from the lack of options and proper nutrients
I am so happy to be vegan again!!) and my boyfriend (who I moved off campus with) went vegetarian when we moved out (about 3 months ago now).

So thats the background, my question is: is their any diet related reason that we would both be really tired?

We eat plenty of veggies and try to eat protein at the very least once a day. We also eat plenty of whole grains. We do tend to eat quite a bit of baked goods because I'm loving being able to experiment with vegan baking again!!

Any help would be appreciated as it is starting to cause problems with out studies!

Thanks

·
Registered
117 Posts
Vitamin B-12 and D deficiency can also make you tired. A vegan multivitamin would take care of that. I take Deva brand, and those ones in particular are smaller than other multivitamins so they're very easy to swallow. I really like that brand of vitamins. If you want to really make sure you're getting ample B-12 and D you can buy those separately as well.

Some people consume fortified products with those vitamins, like fortified soy milk. That's a good idea if you like those sorts of foods.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I take a multivitamin most mornings (when i remember
) which contains iron, vitamin B complex and D. I also try to eat lots of broccoli and leafy green veggies. Should I consider a blood test??

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
I dunno, "plenty" is very subjective. You should try a site like Fitday and see for yourself exactly how many calories and nutrients you are actually getting. The first thing I think of when people say they are tired is that they just aren't eating enough food, period.

·
Banned
1,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyElse View Post

I dunno, "plenty" is very subjective. You should try a site like Fitday and see for yourself exactly how many calories and nutrients you are actually getting. The first thing I think of when people say they are tired is that they just aren't eating enough food, period.
I agree. More often than not people are getting enough micronutrients, and are missing out on total calories and carbohydrates. Carbs give you energy, both physical and mental.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I agree with somebody else, the first thing to think about is if you're eating enough, as it really is the simplest (and most likley, in my experience here on VB anyway) answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agee309 View Post

I take a multivitamin most mornings (when i remember
) which contains iron, vitamin B complex and D. I also try to eat lots of broccoli and leafy green veggies. Should I consider a blood test??
Yes! If you're sure you're eating enough, Tte only way to know for sure if your're lacking anything is blood tests, because of absorption differences/etc. That way you can be sure, and you wont waste time and money taking supplements or eating specific foods you don't need, and you also wont miss the warning signs of something else which could be causing tiredness. You're in australia so I think (?) it wont cost you anything, and it can tell you exactly if there is or isn't a problem and what to do.

Also, you say you've just moved off campus with your bf, perhaps it's just you've been busy? Moving into a new place, settling in together, and things like cooking and cleaning for yourself when previously those things may have been done by cleaners and catering staff. I've been really tired before, and haven't even noticed how busy I've been untill someone points it out.

I hope you both feel better soon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts