VeggieBoards banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been vegetarian for over 3 years now and recently I have been interested in Veganism, at first I was unsure what Vegan food was out there in the UK but everytime I go to the supermarket now I find something new!!!
I'm not a big fan of Soya either, which is another reason I was unsure if I'd like anything Vegan but there's stuff out there without Soya!!!

I've even realised I'd been eating Vegan foods without even realising it too! lol We buy Vegan bread (never realised before lol) I've found some Vegan butter I like, Vegan cereal, Noodles, Hash Browns, Burgers, Kettle Crisps! Chocolate, Lemon Sorbet! I even bought some Reggae Reggae sauce for my husband as I had a coupon for it lol looked on the back to see if it's veggie and it's VEGAN! I'm soo happy! lol Sorry I just had to share my joy lol I know obviously I could just live on fruit and veg but I like to have variety too!

Nearly everything I consume is Vegan now, well chuffed lol Another reason for my joy is that these things aren't over priced either! I'm not on alot of money and I've seen some Vegan things that are just priced ridiculously! but all of the things mentioned above are really cheap!!
'Does a little dance' lol

·
Registered
245 Posts
I feel your joy! I get so excited when I see vegan things spreading in 'normal' stores!

Today I got some cookies at the supermarket which actually said VEGAN on them! (NEVER seen this before around here!)

·
Registered
888 Posts
I love it when I see 'vegan' on products, like recently our washing machine tabs, a packet of falafel, some jack Daniels BBQ sauce, toiletries at superdrug... It's so exciting

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
I think a lot of this has to do with the growing popularity of vegan tv specials, vegan books, and the stream lining/fine tuning and expansion of pro vegan organizations that do grassroots education. I think we're gonna see even more vegan options everywhere over the next ten or twenty years.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had some of my Vegan cereal this morning, blueberry mini wheaty things lol had some with oat milk...not too sure on that combination yet..may have to experiment with other 'milks'

·
Registered
526 Posts
Awesome!
I've had some friends in England and I was wondering if I could survive there with the way they describe their food options. It's good to hear another story for the area (not sure where in the UK you're from), although I am happy living within walking distance of about a half-dozen vegan restaurants and health stores :^]

·
Registered
19,134 Posts

Being vegan in (much of at least) the UK = easy peasy. Labeling on packaged foods is great!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

Being vegan in (much of at least) the UK = easy peasy. Labeling on packaged foods is great!
Sorry, depends on where you live in the UK! Believe me!

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
I think you have less choice in some areas, granted, but really truly labeling of supermarket foods is so so much better here than anything I ever experienced in America (or any place I've spent much time in Europe).

Anyway, I just don't want to give people the idea that it's insanely difficult to be vegan.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Quote:

Anyway, I just don't want to give people the idea that it's insanely difficult to be vegan.
It's insanely difficult to eat out as a vegetarian where I live (Northern Ireland), never mind as a vegan! I don't think anyone here as ever even heard the word!

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Eating out = a whole other story. I'm really, really surprised to hear that though about being a vegetarian and having trouble. I've never seen a menu in the UK that didn't have at least one vegetarian item on it, even in the wild northlands.

At least you can get potatoes. (sorry, bad Irish joke)

·
Registered
526 Posts
Even though there's several vegan restaurants within walking distance of me (yes, pure vegan, not vegetarian), I still don't eat out very often. I prepare nearly every one of my meals (usually I eat out because a friend will be kind enough to take me out somewhere).
I just wanted to point out that being vegetarian/vegan generally means cooking for yourself. Sure, it takes more time, but it's a lot more rewarding. Also, if there are absolutely no vegans where you live, then maybe you'd like to be a pioneer of sorts ;^]

·
Registered
157 Posts
Quote:

I've never seen a menu in the UK that didn't have at least one vegetarian item on it, even in the wild northlands.
I've seen lots of them! And you soon get fed up with the ones that have, as they offer you the same meal, year in year out.
Or better still, you go back to your favourite restaurant and lo and behold, they've taken it off the menu "because noone was asking for it!"

·
Registered
56 Posts
I did the same happy dance yesterday at the supermarket. There are so many more vegan option in the stores here compared to Holland that it helps me miss living there.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts