VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my pre vegan days I used to occasionally buy filled pasta as a quick option. The only commercially available vegan filled pasta I have found so far is made by Biona and I have to say I am not very impressed with it. So far I have tried the spelt and veg one and the tricolour tofu and spice one and both of these taste of .....nothing!

I see they do a leek and spinach and also a pumpkin one but I am loath to pay out
for these if they too will turn out to be tasteless. I know I can (and do) make a spicy sauce to go with these pastas but to me a filled pasta really should have a tasty filling or else what's the point - you may as well just go for plain unfilled stuff.

So does anyone have any other products they recommend or are there any Biona pastas that are actually worth eating? And also a quick recipe or link for making vegan pasta would be great as I have only ever made the egg variety and don't really know how it would bind together - would I use oil?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
When I first read this thread title I thought you meant pasta FILLED with vegans. ooer.
Anyway, when I was l/o spinach and ricotta fillled pasta was a dead simple filling meal and Ive never found a proper alternative either. Ive only seen that Biona stuff and youre right its well expensive so i've never tried it

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the link I see they are US based - anyone know if they supply to the UK as I can't find any obvious websites from a quick google.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
When I first read this thread title I thought you meant pasta FILLED with vegans. ooer.
Yeah I saw the title after I had posted and wondered if anyone would ask what vegan filled pasta would taste like! Perhaps a bit like vegan shepherds pie- filled with vegan shepherds!

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
They have gnocchi at Waitrose that is vegan (potato filled pasta circles, if you're unfamiliar). I haven't tried them yet, as I just discovered them a couple weeks ago. I'd love to find a nice filled ravioli.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh I thought gnocchi were actually made of potato - I will check these out. Thanks. yes a ravioli would be great - with something really flavoursome in like spicy aubergine or pumpkin. I think I'm just going to have to try to make some....

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Gnocchi IS pasta made of potatoes. I love it, and its really fun/easy to make (boil potato, mash potato, mix in same amount of flour, make into balls, boil!). Maybe the waitrose one is different though?

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
The asda kid's tinned ravioli in tomato sauce is (or was last time I checked) vegan. It wasn't too bad - at about 30p a tin, you're getting what you pay for, but I added a few spices as I heated it up and served it with some salad and garlic bread, and it was pretty nice.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Ah, I'd forgotten that I got some in a tin once too..I think it was from Sainsbury. It was not good, but my nanny munchkin liked it (she was 2 or 3 at the time).

On the gnocchi, yeah...I shoulda described that better. I often see it with egg in it, presumably as a binder, but this was vegan.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've made gnocchi and had varying degrees of success - the last lot I made were really slimy and I think I used the wrong type of potatoes, but they are generally easy to make and when they work are far nicer than the long life stuff you get from the supermarket. Hmmm tinned veg ravioli - I have had it and it is an option if I really want a ravioli moment!

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeryFairy View Post

The asda kid's tinned ravioli in tomato sauce is (or was last time I checked) vegan. It wasn't too bad - at about 30p a tin, you're getting what you pay for, but I added a few spices as I heated it up and served it with some salad and garlic bread, and it was pretty nice.
I'm going to try and find this.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Last night I made some vegan tortelloni with a butternut squash filling served with a spicy tomato sauce. Hmmmm. I definitely need to practise! I used half semolina flour and half plain, olive oil, salt and water. The first half I made were sooo thick and I couldn't seal the edges very well - I think the egg may have helped in the past. Consequently some of the filling leeched into the water when I cooked them. The second half I managed to get much thinner and had more success with but it was certainly, for me at least, no longer the quick tasty option I used to have when I used shop bought stuff.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I wanted to make a stuffed pasta because whilst I can buy dried lasagne and penne etc there isn't much vegan filled pasta around. But you are right I could try cannelloni and stuff that as there would be less danger of the filling floating off as I would just bung it all in the oven. thanks for that!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeryFairy View Post

Just paid the second of my twice yearly visits to Asda and they had none of this kid's ravioli. Very sad. Also a word of warning -the use by date on their light salad cream was only two months later than the last lot I bought back in June so it might be an idea to stock up in case they're planning to discontinue the last known vegan salad cream in the UK. Sniffle. My shopping basket must have looked very weird as it contained asda own brand salad cream ( x 3)asda own brand soya yogs (x 8) asda own brand dried veggie mince (x 2) and asda own brand choc mint cream ( x 1). God alone knows what they thought I was on...

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986 View Post

3)asda own brand soya yogs (x 8) asda own brand dried veggie mince (x 2) and asda own brand choc mint cream ( x 1). God alone knows what they thought I was on...
Ooh, I didn't know about the soya yoghurts and the mint cream!

The Asda Eco type washing liquid is suitable for vegans as well btw.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts