1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
8 Crushed rye crackers,(ryvitas)

4 tbls vegan hazelnut spread.

2 tbls golden syrup.

Mix all ingredients and roll into small balls, chill till set. Yummy.....

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
the chocolate is in the hazelnut spread. it's that Nutella stuff, it's chocolate and hazelnut. it's hard to find one without dairy though, i have the best luck with generic grocery store brands.

·
Registered
441 Posts
nutella is not vegan, but pb and co. makes a peanut butter with chocolate. i've made homemade nutella - but it's expensive for hazelnuts.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Good recipe, seems pretty quick and simple to make, I may just try it out for Christmas

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Awww, I really want to make these for a potluck this Sunday... Is there anything I could use in place of the golden syrup? I can't find it in my country.
Also, should I finely crush the rye crackers?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Golden syrup I used, must be something similiar there?. Yes finely crush the rye crackers, I used a pestle and morter.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
well actual ferrero rocher use a sort of wafer. you can probably buy plain wafer anywhere that sells a lot of baking stuff like bulk food stores or whatever. that would work better than crackers i would imagine.

there are generic brand versions of nutella that are vegan, you just might have to try a few stores before you find it.

as for golden syrup i think corn syrup would be pretty close wouldn't it?

·
Registered
345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

Sounds good - but... RYE crackers? Don't they taste like rye when done? I don't care for the taste all that much..
I don't like rye at all, but we bought some rye crackers and made these. I didn't notice them tasting like rye. The chocolate and hazelnut taste was dominant and the rye crackers seemed to add texture and crunch. I was careful to pick some rye crackers that didn't have added spices, so that may have helped too.

I ended up using corn syrup and that worked. I might try it with agave nectar next time, but I expect that will change the flavor somewhat.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurie15 View Post

nutella is not vegan, but pb and co. makes a peanut butter with chocolate. i've made homemade nutella - but it's expensive for hazelnuts.
How do you make homemade nutella?! Do you have a recipe? Or even a rough idea of ingredients and i'll have a little play around.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Generic Nutella? I only know of one place that sells a Nuttella like spread and it is not vegan. I might have to search around for this.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I got this off another forum. It's a nuttella type spread recipe. Obviously you could use agave for honey. I plan to try this soon.

For the "Chocolatine" spread, you'll need:

1/4 jar of almond butter (16oz, no sugar or salt added)

1/4 cup good quality, sweet honey

1 to 1 1/2 tbsp of pure cocoa powder

1/2 tsp of vanilla extract

A little pinch of salt (I use the Himalayan pink salt)...salt brings out the sweetness.

>Blend the almond butter and the honey. Then incorporate the other ingredients 1 by 1 by blending them with the honey-almond paste.

Pour in a "tupperware" dish with a lid.

I leave my spread on the countertop or inside the pantry but not in the fridge...it makes it hard to spread. Now I suggest starting with 1 tbsp or cocoa powder, taste and add some more if necessary...It depends how chocolaty you like it.

...Now if you don't like chocolate but still like almonds, here's my "Amandine" or "Almondine" spread recipe:

1/4 jar of almond butter (16oz, no sugar or salt added)

1/4 cup good quality, sweet honey

A little pinch of salt (I still use the Himalayan pink salt)

>Proceed as above. I didn't add vanilla extract because I don't think it taste that great with it. The pinch of salt is optional.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts