VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A future where vegetarianism and veganism become more widespread and a world where the animal holocaust begins to fade away, depends on vegetarians and vegans being able to empower themselves in the area of food production. This means practical involvement of vegetarians and vegans in agriculture, that aspires to the same level of involment that non-veg's have.

We must aspire toward land ownership and farming. I cannot remain the only vegan dedicated to and commited to starting and maintaining a fairly decent-sized commercial food-growing endeavor. Others must get up their asses and start getting involved also. This means you.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
These seem like very idealistic and unrealistic goals to me.

Most farms around here are inherited and people who don't have them cannot afford them. I was involved in a community garden (Which is the cloesest us middle class people can get to being involved in agriculture) before and it costs way more money to have a garden then it ever brought in.

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
Why not let consumer demand shape the market? You've seen what's happening with the organic market. Companies evolve to meet the demands of their consumers. When demand for veganic agriculture rises, companies will adapt to veganic agriculture methods--all without me getting off my ass.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
kpickell, there is already a consumer demand. I am sure of it. It is just that companies in agribusiness don't realize it yet. I want to be the first one in and the one to benefit from the initial surge.

also, I like growing food, and that is what I want to do. I figure if I want it done right, I will have to do it myself. I have seen what has happened with the vegan retail food business already. Vegan candy vegan cake. Lots of vegan junk-food.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by soilman View Post

Others must get up their asses and start getting involved also. This means you.
What can I do? I don't think it's possible for me to own a land and farm right now.

·
Registered
385 Posts
What about personal gardens? I plan to start gardening again on my mothers land.

I think getting a good company to back the idea up would be great. I can see resturants wanting to buy from a vegan garden. I know my school is quite picky about their food (atleast the culinary section is).

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry, I am in excrutiating dental pain right now (Tuesday) and can't get a dental appointment before Friday. I will try to respond on Friday.

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
Ar, that sucks. Maybe you could ask for your investors money up front and take it down to Mexico and get your teeth fixed once and for all.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
"Ar, that sucks. Maybe you could ask for your investors money up front and take it down to Mexico and get your teeth fixed once and for all."

I know you are just kidding.

In any case, I am going to have to pay interest on the seed money, and I can't do that if I "invest" it all in dental care -- unless I was a trapeze artist who swings around while hanging by his teeth and needed my teeth fixed for that reason.

Not to mention that the investors are going to want a written contract specifying where each and every penny goes, and aren't going to put dental care into the contract.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
You have probably already thought of this, but I don't see how you are going to do gardening work if you are in chronic pain.

Gardening is grueling physical work. I used to drop into bed after tending my community garden and that was just a hobby style garden, not a commerical one.

PS: I hope you get that dental pain under control, I cringe just reading your posts sometimes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts