VeggieBoards banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just thinking about making eggrolls -- all the possibilities of traditional and "creative" fillings. But the wrappers at my store contain egg. Is there a brand of wrapper without it? Or a recipe? Or is it just not possible ...?

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I've never been clear what a "spring roll" is, exactly. (In my family any wrapped veggies/meat in a doughy roll is a "lumpia.") If spring roll wrappers don't have egg (great!), are they commercially available? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
For some reason the spring roll wrappers at my store are by the tofu, but the egg roll wrappers are by the hot dogs on the other side of the store.
I don't understand much of the shelving policy at that store. (Another weird one is that the vegan margarine is by the orange juice, which is on a different wall than the dairy butters/margarines.... so odd!)

Anyhow, you might check by the tofu in case your grocery store has an equally insane shelving policy.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Good point, all things vaguely oriental (like tofu and spring rolls) are kept in one area in produce in most stores where I live. Udon noodles are never with fresh pasta, kind of odd.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Here's a spring roll recipe I came across on vegweb when doing my search for fried rice ideas. It has some details about the rice paper and brand names to look for.

Though when I made them before I even went vegan I used this other recipe and it seems like the spring rolls I see now are different than those were. I've gotten confused, I guess the term can be applied for different things and I can get that, but I'm just not sure which is the more common one that it's used for.

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
kittay, those sound more like salad rolls instead of spring rolls.

Spring rolls are deep fried. Salad rolls are not. There's a big difference between them. Personally, I **love** salad rolls and we make em all the time at home (yum!). (mmm, peanut sauce
) But if spring rolls (the deep fried kind) are what sunnyk is after, she'll have to deep fry them afterwards. I'm not sure how well rice paper deep frys. Has anyone tried it?

amy

·
Registered
624 Posts
Oregon Amy, actually there are no such thing as Salad rolls. Egg rolls are deep fried. Which are vegetarian or contain meat. Spring rolls=salad since salad is a spring time food, and a traditional spring roll has egg in it.

At least in Thai food, Spring Rolls are made with scrambled egg and salad fixings. Shredded cabbage and served raw. ( aside from the egg)

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
weird. I thought that spring rolls were deep fried as well. They are here - if you get a spring roll, usually they use some sort of rice paper (or thin paper) and have veggies in them. If you get an egg roll, it has the thick egg-based wrapper. And if you get the salad roll, it's not fried at all...

They're called salad rolls at most of the Thai & Vietnamese restaurants out here, so that's what I thought they were called. Go figure!

ugh! I hate nomenclature. I'm going to talk in grunts from now on.

~ amy

I mean

~ ungh

·
Registered
811 Posts
Here in Texas, if you go to a Thai or Vietnamese restaurant and want the "raw"(unfried) spring rolls, they are called "summer rolls". There is a particular Thai restaurant that I frequent and they make the best d*mn summer rolls around. My omni friend and I are determined to try making them at home. She said that she seen a show on TV about a restaurant where they bring you the fillings along with the rice wrapper and a bowl of hot water. They then show you how to quickly drag the rice paper through the water, fill the summer roll and serve it. Hooo baby - gotta do that at home!

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by EquiPro

She said that she seen a show on TV about a restaurant where they bring you the fillings along with the rice wrapper and a bowl of hot water. They then show you how to quickly drag the rice paper through the water, fill the summer roll and serve it. Hooo baby - gotta do that at home!
Do it! It's awesome. You can buy a package of those wrappers in most grocery stores, in the Asian foods aisle section. (you know, right next to the Chun King stuff
) They're usually around $2 for a package, and you get a bajillion wrappers in one pack. Then you can fill them with ANYTHING - lettuce, carrots, celery, cabbage, fried tofu, etc... we cook some rice threads too (the skinny mai fun noodles) then rinse them in cold water & put them in the rolls.

we usually serve them with a satay or peanut dipping sauce and the red "rooster sauce" (that vietnamese stuff with the rooster on the bottle). I live with 4 other people and we'll just have a stack of them on the table with the fixins in separate bowls and a big bowl of water in the middle of the table. Then we can all make our own separate salad/spring/summer rolls. mmmm.

Enjoy! They're *excellent*

amy

1 - 14 of 14 Posts