VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's this "vegan" woman on YouTube who got a lot of hate for her 'five reasons why meat eaters are retarded' video which you might have seen before, and looking at some of her videos I see that she has pet chickens and sells their eggs. I also gathered that she takes some of the eggs for herself to eat, and I thought "...wut?" seeing as she said she was vegan in another video. Even if the chickens aren't being harmed in any way and she cares for them as pets, doesn't this kill the whole idea of being vegan? She said she'd been vegan for like 20 years so obviously it's not like a recent thing she's done.

·
Registered
344 Posts
If she eats eggs, no matter how happy the chickens are, she's not a vegan. She must have a misunderstanding of what a vegan is.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I can see the logic in giving away your chickens eggs - not wanting your friends and family to buy from factory farms. but to sell them? eehhh thats odd. im not sure its technically non-vegan though, just a bit bizarre.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindred View Post

or she sells the eggs and doesnt eat them herself.
That's still not vegan. It's like saying you're against pedophilia but sell child slaves for other people to rape. I know that sounds extreme but that's a good comparison. Vegans are ethically opposed to animal agriculture and profiting from selling animal parts, period.

·
Vegan Very Metal
774 Posts
Is there a label for "vegans" who eat eggs? Apart from calling them vegetarian, maybe their label could be "veggan" or something equally hypocritical.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent View Post

Is there a label for "vegans" who eat eggs? Apart from calling them vegetarian, maybe their label could be "veggan" or something equally hypocritical.
lol veggan, good one.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh James xVx View Post

That's still not vegan. It's like saying you're against pedophilia but sell child slaves for other people to rape. I know that sounds extreme but that's a good comparison. Vegans are ethically opposed to animal agriculture and profiting from selling animal parts, period.
Really? I though vegan was a type of diet. I.e. onthat doesnt include any animal products???

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I could see her giving the eggs away but not selling them. I wonder why she doesn't feed them back to her chickens. That is what Farm Sanctuary does.

Had I not gone vegan, I may have consumed eggs from pet chickens if I had them. I wanted some when I owned my house, but I had nasty neighbors and would have feared for them. But being vegan 5 1/2 + years, all taste is gone for anything non vegan and the thought of consuming any animal products makes my stomach upset.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Quote:

Really? I though vegan was a type of diet. I.e. onthat doesnt include any animal products???
Vegan is more of a philosophy; it extends to lifestyle, rather than being just dietary.

Those who eat a vegan diet but don't ascribe to the rest of it tend to be labelled 'strict vegetarians' or 'dietary vegans'.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I would love to have a couple of pet chickens.

I would dress my pug up in a toga, and have the chickens pull him around the neighborhood in a little chariot. That would be so rad.

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
Quote:

Being vegan also includes things like not using wool or silk and avoiding animal tested products where possible/practical, it's not just diet.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent View Post

Veggan is cute, but they're actually called ovo-vegetarians.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh James xVx View Post

What if she's giving eggs away so that people aren't buying factory farmed eggs? I give away omni food that I get all the time. Kids bring home non vegan treats from school etc. I think it's wasteful to throw in the products in the trash.

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbivorous B.I.G. View Post

I would dress my pug up in a toga, and have the chickens pull him around the neighborhood in a little chariot.
I think it would be better the other way around...

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
i wouldn't be so quick to judge her. I'd first wonder where she got the chickens from (maybe they're rescues) and how she treats them. If they're rescues and she treats them well then it really isn't any different than keeping a dog or cat as a pet. And at that point I don't know if I care what she does with the eggs. Maybe not technically vegan, but whether or not I mind if she uses the moniker has to do with the details.

actually, i just watched her video and i'm not gonna stick my neck out to defend her...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.