VeggieBoards banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
The Corpulent Vegan
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking of getting into shamanic drumming meditation, but drums are traditionally made with animal skins. Does anyone know of any drum companies that offer vegan options, if there are any companies that offer vegan "skin tops" that I could use to make my own, and how these options, if they exist, compare to the traditional animal based ones? I'm very much an earth religion practitioner, and very much subscribe to the belief that my veganism is deeply entrenched in the idea of harm none. It's part of what drives me. So if I can't get a drum that is animal product free, it's going to make me feel like a hypocrite.

/personal rant

·
Vegan since 1991
3,660 Posts
I've been thinking of getting into shamanic drumming meditation, but drums are traditionally made with animal skins. Does anyone know of any drum companies that offer vegan options, if there are any companies that offer vegan "skin tops" that I could use to make my own, and how these options, if they exist, compare to the traditional animal based ones? I'm very much an earth religion practitioner, and very much subscribe to the belief that my veganism is deeply entrenched in the idea of harm none. It's part of what drives me. So if I can't get a drum that is animal product free, it's going to make me feel like a hypocrite.

/personal rant
It should be very easy to find vegan drum heads. In the mid 1990s, I had such a drum.

·
The Corpulent Vegan
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It should be very easy to find vegan drum heads. In the mid 1990s, I had such a drum.

I found a company called "Remo" that has synthetic drumheads, but I'm not sure if the glue or anything is vegan. I could call them, but I feel like the drumhead itself not being animal skin is among the best I could hope for. I looked for vegan drum companies, but most of what I found to claim to be fully vegan was on Etsy and WAY out of my price range.

I think my conscience can settle for the pills argument here - I did my best to avoid overt animal products, if there are trace amounts I may not know about, I chalk it up to the need to use up animal parts from an industry seeking to profit off of everything, and there will be less of that as the world goes Veg*n.

·
Registered
1 Posts

/personal rant
You can get synthetic drum skins, however they are made from plastic, which means that they won't break down for a crazy long time and poison the earth when they do. I'm a drum maker and you are better off finding a drum maker that sources ethical hides, where animals have lived natural lives. Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts