VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been vegan dog owner for all these years and for some reason I never thought about what I was buying for my dog untill a couple days ago! Titles like Ham Baccon And Cheese, etc. I feel like such blind jerk. I thought about starting him out slow, reducing his regular diet and mixing veggies into it. Just wondered if anyone here has converted their pet and what you feed them and how. I started to Google it but find mixed data. Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
590 Posts
how old is he? a dog that has been on a meat-based diet and grown on this diet, it might not be too healthy to switch him off of it, because his body functions and adapts to things a lot different than us. i suggest you go see a vet to see what type of condition he is in and if it would be safe for you to do so.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He's just turned 8 yrs old. He's a mut, mostly chow with some golden retriever; very good looking mut. He is very active; long ago I tought him to run next to my bicycle like when a dog heels without a leash so he gets great exersize. He's one of the few city dogs around here that get to run regularly; he loves it. I was avoiding the vet, one would think they all should be vegetarian just by the nature of thier job, but I doubt she is.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
I'd either feed him a vegetarian dog food or use a recipe for dog food. Don't just feed him whatever you're having. Dogs have different nutritional requirements than humans and some foods that are actually healthy for us can be toxic to dogs.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
quite a few people have vegan dogs on here. I'm sure some of them will have some good advice for you.

Congrats on the change, and good luck on veganising the ones you provide for

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post

I'd either feed him a vegetarian dog food or use a recipe for dog food. Don't just feed him whatever you're having. Dogs have different nutritional requirements than humans and some foods that are actually healthy for us can be toxic to dogs.
Thanks, I checked out the site for Pet Smart and out of 240+ dog food titles they have two vegetarian choices. I called and they have one of those two and it's intended for dogs allergic to meat.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
The vegetarian dog food just uses an alternative protein source for dogs allergic to the more common sources of protein. A dog w/o allergies can still eat it. Was it Natural Balance by any chance?

My dogs aren't veg, but they all eat an allergy-formula dog food even though only one of them needs it. It's just easier for me if they all eat the same thing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No Wolfie, it's not Natural Balance, I copied it and will paste it below.

AvoDerm Natural Vegetarian provides quality protein sources that are ideal for adult dogs with sensitivities to meat protein sources. Created with quality ingredients to provide healthy, balanced levels of protein, fat, and nutrients for adult dogs - no by-products. High quality ingredients eliminate the need for unnecessary preservatives and additives - things you dog's diet definitely doesn't need.

Select Ingredients: Ground Whole Rice, Soy Flour, Ground Pearled Barley, Canola Oil (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Avocado Meal, Dicalcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Potatoes, Avocado Oil, Carrots, Peas, Flax Seed, Dried Kelp, Salt, Choline Chloride, Lecithin, Garlic Oil, Dried Garlic Powder, Dried Onion Powder, Dried Yucca Schidigera, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Niacin, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement (Source of Vitamin B Complex), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Source of Vitamin B6), Thiamine Mononitrate (Source of Vitamin B1), Folic Acid, Biotin, Zinc Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Ferrous Proteinate, Copper Sulfate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Sulfate, Manganese Proteinate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I am a fairly new vegan (Dec 28th) and I have two cats. I have been looking for alternatives, but I feel that my cats are natural carnivores, and without me (and people like me domesticating them) they'd be out there chasing mice and squirrels and such; munching on them. I do not like the idea of where pet food comes from, but have a hard time telling myself that cats are not natural carnivores. Therefore they are allowed animal products.

Am I wrong? Please advise where I might learn otherwise/alternatives.

·
Registered
791 Posts
My dogs turned vegan a few months after I did. The older one was eight years old. The younger one was two. They eat the veggie formula of Natural Balance and a LOT of what I eat. (grains, tofu, fresh veggies, fresh fruits)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've been thinking about looking into a vegetarian, or vegan diet for dogs. I can't now because the meat eaters here would just feed them meat anyway, but for the future. Does anyone have any websites about this that they could direct us that are interested to?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.