VeggieBoards banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
The prowling wolf
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I said in another topic, I have tried becoming vegan and failed due to IBS and health conditions caused by that. I'm not looking to go vegan 100% now, but I am looking for more vegan dishes that I can eat (and suit my needs) so I can become a stricter vegetarian. If this isn't the right forum for this, please move the thread; but I'm looking for vegan dishes so I figured I should post it here.

My triggers for IBS symptoms are:
Beans, spicy foods like red chillies, refined grains like white bread (whole wheat gives me less problems), legumes, milk in pure form, heavy starch based meals like mashed potatoes or potato salad.

When triggered I get diarrhoea up to 8 times a day and always within 30 mins after the meal.

Because the vegan diet I chose was rich in beans/grains/legumes and starches, I just couldn't keep up with it as I was constantly on the bathroom and that way it's impossible for my body to absorb enough nutrients. It also made me hungry all the time because the food got thrown out so fast. Aside from that, my body has problems absorbing b12 but supplementing seems to help there.

So, do you know of vegan dishes or recipes that I can eat? All suggesions are welcome!

·
The prowling wolf
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

How are you with tofu and tempeh?
Anything that's not named in the list I can eat

And a little potatoes and chickpeas I can also eat.

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
have you tried all kinds of beans and legumes? there are a lot.

some ideas would be to look into raw vegan recipes like pasta made with zucchini/squash.

soups like veggie minestrone, butternut squash or pumpkin, broccoli, and french onion.

sushi with brown rice, avocado, cucumber, and spinach is amazing and easy.

·
Banned
1,726 Posts
Spinach salad with nuts or sunflower seeds, dried cranberries and apples in a very light olive-oil type dressing is easy and so delicious.

Tofu scramble made with onions and peppers and some nutritional yeast flakes is really good. I put cumin and a little salt and pepper to taste. Sometimes, I will throw in some canned tomatoes as well. This also makes a great filling for a wrap (maybe a whole wheat one would work for you).

Falafel. Make it a platter to avoid the bread and have it with a tahini dressing and a salad.

·
The prowling wolf
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvourmother View Post

have you tried all kinds of beans and legumes? there are a lot.

some ideas would be to look into raw vegan recipes like pasta made with zucchini/squash.

soups like veggie minestrone, butternut squash or pumpkin, broccoli, and french onion.

sushi with brown rice, avocado, cucumber, and spinach is amazing and easy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTree15 View Post

Spinach salad with nuts or sunflower seeds, dried cranberries and apples in a very light olive-oil type dressing is easy and so delicious.

Tofu scramble made with onions and peppers and some nutritional yeast flakes is really good. I put cumin and a little salt and pepper to taste. Sometimes, I will throw in some canned tomatoes as well. This also makes a great filling for a wrap (maybe a whole wheat one would work for you).

Falafel. Make it a platter to avoid the bread and have it with a tahini dressing and a salad.
My parents are foodies so I've tried about any bean/legume under the sun, so far I can only deal with chickpeas/green beans and kidneybeans in small amounts. The sushi tip sounds very good, thanks

And the spinach salad I'll surely try!

·
Registered
812 Posts
one of my favorite meals that i know at least didn't trigger my friend's ibs is coconut curried quinoa:

i really love it because i've had a hard time finding a creamy vegan dish that isn't full of wheat or really processed foods.

i never measure when i make it but i'll give you a rough recipe from my memory
(i usually make it with pigeon peas but it would be great with sweet peas or something)
ingredients:
about 2 cups of quinoa uncooked
1 tbs oil
1 can of coconut milk
3 tbs yellow curry powder
2 tsp soy sauce
3-5 cloves minced garlic
1 tbs grated or minced fresh ginger
some black pepper, cayenne, or paprika to taste

-boil 2 cups of water with the oil in a pot, then throw in the quinoa
-once most of the water has been absorbed by the quinoa put in half of the coconut milk
-add all of the spices garlic ginger soy sauce or whatever else seems good to you
-let simmer until not soupy
-add the rest of the coconut milk and then let simmer until it seems good to you!

also!
rice noodles!! they're great!

·
The prowling wolf
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by nataliex1122 View Post

one of my favorite meals that i know at least didn't trigger my friend's ibs is coconut curried quinoa:

i really love it because i've had a hard time finding a creamy vegan dish that isn't full of wheat or really processed foods.

i never measure when i make it but i'll give you a rough recipe from my memory
(i usually make it with pigeon peas but it would be great with sweet peas or something)
ingredients:
about 2 cups of quinoa uncooked
1 tbs oil
1 can of coconut milk
3 tbs yellow curry powder
2 tsp soy sauce
3-5 cloves minced garlic
1 tbs grated or minced fresh ginger
some black pepper, cayenne, or paprika to taste

-boil 2 cups of water with the oil in a pot, then throw in the quinoa
-once most of the water has been absorbed by the quinoa put in half of the coconut milk
-add all of the spices garlic ginger soy sauce or whatever else seems good to you
-let simmer until not soupy
-add the rest of the coconut milk and then let simmer until it seems good to you!

also!
rice noodles!! they're great!
Oh that sounds fantastic! Thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts