VeggieBoards banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've been slowly changing my diet to vegan, I have many products that I think are not vegan, and/or I don't know about in my house. I've got a policy which I had before, where I would only wear a piece of clothing, if it was not made of an interwoven material. So now, I have clothing that is made of 100% nylon, cotton, rayon (something like that), polyester, cashmere, wool, and I think that could be it, or there might be something more... While I don't plan on throwing out anything I wear, as that (in my opinion) would be a complete waste of the animal's sacrifice, I would like to know what to buy in the future, especially vegan shoes. I discovered that vegan was more than a diet only recently, and that some additives and vitamins and most coloured dyes (even if listed as vegan) come from animal product. I plan on giving my blue soap away to my non-vegan friend. If the food is not vegan, I can give it away. I have plenty of friends who would love free (mostly healthy) food. And if I don't know, for long enough (even when I've asked the companies), then I have to ask Someone what to do about this. I've found almost everything I like in vegan options when it comes to food and hygiene products. One thing I'd like to know tonight, is if the New Zealand water in my tap (including laundry and shower) are vegan. They contain chlorine, aluminium, flouride, and I don't know what else. I just hope that whatever it contains isn't enough of it to harm animals, and doesn't come from animals. New Zealand water in the tap contains 5 - 6 ppm (parts per million) chlorine in the water. I hear some tap water (I'm not sure where) has enough chlorine to kill some goldfish if put in the tank. My main concern is, that if I use heaps of water, from time to time, that I am not killing any fish, insects or other animals and preferably doesn't hurt them. I'm living with an omni dad and half omni flatmate in a rented house, so I think buying a filter, as I plan to move out, could be not only too expensive to buy first (before moving), but might be a waste of my investment seeing that I want to move overseas eventually, and go on missions and probably won't be able to take it with me. I don't know how long I plan to live in New Zealand for, even in my own or someone else's flat. I try being as strict as I can possibly be when doing special Vegan Fasts for some people. But if I were to fully make the transition to Vegan in general, then I'd have to know what general standards are, and how to survive on an everyday Vegan lifestyle. I'm still considering whether this is possible for me where I live, or if I can only be a loose vegan, because the food at the supermarket might have shellac on the produce, but the produce in the organic supermarket might have a trace of milk on it, and what's more, I don't know whether or not either one of them uses organic vegan soil. Somebody who was a chef told me vegans don't generally eat breakfast and that they do not eat food that has been grown in soil containing animal products! This nearly put me off trying, and now I don't know if I even can. I need at least $200 to spend on my (hopefully) vegan groceries a week as it is. I can't afford more than this. I get paid less on the Benefit, than it costs for this food and my other expenses (phone bill, electricity, rent, the gym). I have so many other questions that have just popped up in my head as I was writing this, but what I've written is probably too long anyways. I only stopped eating honey about a week ago, as I thought there was no cruelty until I did the research about it. So, I really am just in the transition period, and getting closer every week. My God Keeps Wanting me to buy Veegan things, and only lets me make exceptions for my cat, but even she is now being transitioned (hopefully) to organic cat food. He at least Told me to buy the organic dry food for my cat, as it would be healthier in the long run. She likes it, and gets less hungry now, so I'm liking that. I probably won't be allowed to give her vegan food, as she's not quite my cat. I only half-have her. And I won't claim her as my own because of personal history. But maybe, in the future, I'd like to own a cat from when they're a kitten. By the way, I haven't gotten to blankets yet, and I'm not sure if I can this winter, as polyester might not be vegan. I need blankets that will keep me warm. I think I need one or two new ones as my old ones are ripped. I might need another for a friend, that's if I can afford it, and he doesn't want a ripped one. One of my blankets is ripped really bad.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Shower not happening tonight! Btw, oops. Later :)

:help:I'm going to bed now, because I want to take a shower early on my not so vegan day tomorrow, before I go to Church. All True Christians, please pray for me, and for yourselves and for everybody you know and even for our animals if God Wants you to. Thank you very much. If you see this before tomorrow, It's not too late to add me to your Prayer List. If you're not mentioned in this post yet, I still love you, I may even be going Vegan for you. Btw, some moderator might want to know, that I accidentally reported one of my own posts, not knowing what the report button actually meant. And I think the site took it seriously. Sorry:cry: By the way, I don't go online and check my messages all the time, so I might be slow in replying.

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
I hope you got some good rest jessica. There is no need to stress over every tiny possibility that something might harm animals or is not vegan. It is never about purity or perfection and we certainly do not live in a perfect world that makes this possible. As vegans, we do the best we can where we can to avoid harming and exploiting animals. In the case of the tap water, that is not something under your control and you need water to survive so I wouldn't worry about it. Also, as far as the shellac on produce, it is something I try to avoid but if something is not labeled honestly than I have no way of knowing. It doesn't mean I am going to avoid eating all apples for example. I might try to buy those organic or at a farmers market freshly picked because I have a fairly good idea of which produce items are likely to have wax and so on on them. Organic is not always safe either but I still have to eat. Most of the vegetables we buy were probably grown in some kind of animal manure or fertilizer anyway. It doesn't mean they aren't vegan. I have no control over this. I can however, choose not to buy direct products of exploitation such as dairy, meat, eggs, fish etc. I would personally not buy wool, leather, silk, beeswax. I have control over these choices. But if I already had some products made with these when I went vegan I might use them until I found suitable replacements.

It sounds to me like you are making great strides in your transition and wanting to do the best you can. That is great! Transitions take time. there is no need to be perfect and have it all figured out day one. Even over three years as a vegan, my views and philosophy has changed and shaped into something a little different than it was in the beginning. I still learn new ways of thinking and looking at things each day. This board has certainly helped challenge some long held beliefs lol.

I am surprised you spend so much money on groceries. Wow, the cost of living must be very high where you live! I have cut my grocery bill down to $60 per week and still feel I could spend less. I share some of my food with my husband also (he is still omnivore but eats mostly vegetarian at home). My sister went vegan almost two years ago (three years and three months for me) and she complained she was spending a lot too. I went shopping with her one day and helped her cut her bill in half. She was buying all kinds of items that were unnecessary or that she could have gotten cheaper in bulk and so on. She was spending $14 on fancy plant yogurts alone to get her B12 needs met weekly when she could just supplement directly for far less. It really shouldn't cost that much to live as a vegan. If anything it should cost less. For instance, I can buy a bag of dry Great Northern white beans for less than $2. One cup of white beans has 16 grams of protein and 12% calcium among other health benefits such as fiber and magnesium etc. I can get 6 one cup servings out of that bag or 12 1/2 cup servings. A cut of lean meat might have a similar profile as far as protein (though the amino acid makeup would be more complete in itself whereas the beans could be combined with rice and vegetables to get this amino acid complex), has little calcium unless it is some kind of fish, is loaded with cholesterol and probably hormones and who knows what else, and required far more processing to be edible. Never mind the torture of the poor animals. And I guarantee you that four to six servings of that was way more than $2, not only in terms of the product, but in terms of labor to get that product to the shelf. You can buy oats, rice, couscous, seeds and nuts and other items in bulk for cheaper. Produce does not all have to be bought organically, especially that with skins such as oranges, although personally I try to buy bananas organically for other ethical reasons. I don't use commercial shampoo and haven't for over three years. You can make your own and use simple items for cleaning such as vinegar for mirrors and windows, lemon juice for dusting and so on. I use washing soda for scrubbing and pure vegetable soap for cleaning myself. I don't wear makeup and do not use hair products, but do cut my hair trimmed professionally once a month. I try to keep it as simple as possible. I cycle to work as much as possible to save on gas, at least during warmer months. There are always ways to cut costs. I buy most of my clothes at second hand stores as well as other things like blankets and so on. I simply do not have the money to spend on fancy stuff. I have enough student loans to pay off to keep me busy for a looooong time. and a car and house that are very old and each falling apart. My husband is on disability and I am having long term medical issues myself while juggling work and trying to find a higher level position now that i finished school so I understand all about expenses. I could probably do a lot more to save money than I do.

I hope you don't get too overwhelmed. You sound like a very dedicated person who wants to do the right thing. Congratulations on your choice to transition to vegan! Best wishes and keep posting. :)

·
Don't Eat Animals.
1,291 Posts
I started buying shampoo & body wash at WHOLE FOODS that is 100% animal free. There are 4 alternatives, & they work great. I'm not sure what's in the "regular" stuff at other stores....but I don't want any part of it.

Yea.....being vegan is more than just food. But it you believe in the cause....it's worth it. I have 2 leather belts, & some leather shoes, that I will replace with vegan alternatives when they wear out.

No fur or leather coats.....those still freak me out!!:eek:

We also buy "plant based" laundry detergent......which is fantastic. It has fabric softener in it & your clothes smell great. My daughter got us going on plant based cleaners, etc. I just read in a book yesterday that 70% of people with cognitive brain disorders have "industrial cleaners & pesticides" in their home. Hmmmm.....

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm still considering whether this is possible for me where I live, or if I can only be a loose vegan, because the food at the supermarket might have shellac on the produce,
A few things often have shellac--apples, pears, and citrus fruits. I just don't buy those. You might be able to tell if you look closely at it to see if it is coated with anything.
but the produce in the organic supermarket might have a trace of milk on it,
As an ingredient? Then buy the ingredients and cook it yourself. From cross contamination? That's not a moral issue as you are not paying for the non-vegan ingredient, it's just a personal issue as to whether or not it bothers you.
and what's more, I don't know whether or not either one of them uses organic vegan soil. Somebody who was a chef told me vegans don't generally eat breakfast and that they do not eat food that has been grown in soil containing animal products!
That sounds like a pretty stupid person. Disregard anything he/she says (at least related to veganism).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts