VeggieBoards banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know anything about diabetics on a vegan diet? ive read some stuff online but i was just wondering if anyone had any personal experience. my mom is a type 1 diabetic, and for mothers day she always likes it when i cook for her, i make her breakfast in bed, then we go out for lunch and i make her a huge dinner. i want to make it vegan this year but is it possible to make 3 complete vegan meals that are low in carbs? even complex carbs affect her greatly. we talk a lot about veganism, my mom is the one the raised me an animal lover, and she always says she would have gone vegan a long time ago if she could but she doesnt think she could control her diabetes on a vegan diet.

just curious what you guys think.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
I have a cookbbok I picked up at a flea market called "Meatless Diabetic Cooking". I'm not diabetic, but I'll get just about any veg cookbooks I find. Most of the recepies can be veganized, although, I'm not sure how that would effect the exchanges and such. Aarealski is diabetic, maybe she could help.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am a diabetic and just am adopting the vegan lifestyle.

I havent had enough time yet to tell you a clear answer

But so far - things have been good, and my blood sugar levels have actually stayed lower and good.

There isnt much more I can add yet.. But we will see how things go..

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
I'd like to bring this thread to the top. I have a friend who has a friend who is looking for advice, and they turned to me.

The friend is a diabetic with heart disease. His doctor told him to go on a vegetarian diet to manage the heart disease. (how cool is that!) He's having a hard time managing his blood sugar so far though. Can anyone recommend anything?? I'm not sure what advice to give except for him to run out and get the PCRM book called Healthy Eating For LIfe to Prevent and Treat Diabetes.

Hellllp!!!

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Here's another book I've heard of The Newstart Lifestyle cookbook, by the Weimar Institute. It was recommended by some folks on govegan.net. A google search under vegan diabetic cookbooks yields quite a few results. PCRM is always good for sources like this and the Vegetarian Resource Group has some listings too.

I forget the author but another book "I Can't Believe This Doesn't Have Sugar" is good too. It is full of dessert recipes that are suitable for diabetics. Most are vegan or can be easily modified and none contain any weird stuff like Splenda or Nutrasweet. Most of the sweeting agents called for are grain or fruit based.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Here's a good recipe from the I Can't Believe book.

Blueberry Muffins

1 c mashed banana

1 egg replacer

1/3 c veg oil

1/2 c unsweetened apple juice concentrate

1 T water

2 c whole wheat pastry flour

1 c fresh or frozen blueberries, left to thaw in a strainer

2 t baking soda

Preheat oven to 350. Prepare 18 standard-sized muffin cups with paper liners.

In a large bowl, stir together banana, egg replacer, oil, concentrate, and water. Add flour and mix. Gently stir in blueberries. Stir in baking soda quickly, and then mix (28 to 30 beats). Immediately spoon batter into prepared muffin cups.

Bake about 20 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted in the center of one muffin comes out clean. As soon as they are done, remove muffins from tins and cool on a wire rack. Serve warm or cool completely and store in an airtight container on countertop or freeze.

*18 muffins, 117 cal. Per, 4.3 g fat per.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyK View Post

I'd like to bring this thread to the top. I have a friend who has a friend who is looking for advice, and they turned to me.

The friend is a diabetic with heart disease. His doctor told him to go on a vegetarian diet to manage the heart disease. (how cool is that!) He's having a hard time managing his blood sugar so far though. Can anyone recommend anything?? I'm not sure what advice to give except for him to run out and get the PCRM book called Healthy Eating For LIfe to Prevent and Treat Diabetes.

Hellllp!!!
Does your friend still have dairy? Tell him to cut out dairy and see if that helps. How many vegetables is he eating? Is he still eating white bread/rice/etc? Because I believe more fiber rich foods help diabetis, like wheat bread. Perhaps he should limit the amounts of fruits too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts