VeggieBoards banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the holiday season approaching, I'm finding myself wondering how to make vegan versions of the holiday deserts I usually make. One of my favorites is Creme Brulee. Normally it's made with cream, sugar and a ton of egg yolks and then it's baked in a water bath. The "brulee" part is easy because it's just some sugar sprinkled on top and then caramelized with a blow torch (that's the fun part.) I figure it would be pretty easy to replace the cream with soymilk but I'm unsure about the egg yolks. I'm thinking maybe silken tofu might work. Anyone have any experience making vegan baked custards?

I'm also wondering if it's possible to make a vegan merangue.

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
I have no experience, but I've had very good creme brulee at a vegan restaurant (Madeleine Bistro) that also makes merengue (which I've never had because I can't stand merengue), so it's definitely possible. And, actually, the last time I was there, they were telling someone with allergies that the creme brulee was soy-free!

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That one sounds good. When I give it a try I'll give a full report. If it works, I'll use it to veganize my eggnog creme brulee recipe.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Whoops...my post didn't show up yesterday...

I've used arrowroot in mango pudding, but I have no idea as to whether it would work for crème brulée or not. My guess is that soymilk might be a bit lacking in the fat department, at least compared to yolks and cream. Being allergic to casein, I have tried making crème brulée with soymilk and ended up having liquid at the bottom of the moulds in spite of having used whole egg, so the consistency will definitely be different. Same with substituting coconut milk (which *will* make it taste like coconut). Maybe fake whipping cream with palm and coconut fat might do the trick, along with some sort of agent to thicken it and possibly a bit of caramelized sugar to add to the custard (although that would be closer to crème caramel).

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You can actually make creme brulee with egg whites and fat-free milk (I have a recipe for it) so I'm not sure if fat is the problem. I might give the silken tofu a try this weekend.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts