VeggieBoards banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard that some baking powders are tested on animals-where can I find vegan ones?
I need to make a cake soon, so is there anything else I need to watch out for? I have a good vegan cake recipe but I think it require baking powder.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windigo View Post

How can they possibly test baking powder on animals?
was thinking the same thing so i googled it. it's the baking SODA. arm and hammer apparently test their baking soda on animals. bob's red mill cruelty free.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Quote:
was thinking the same thing so i googled it. it's the baking SODA. arm and hammer apparently test their baking soda on animals. bob's red mill cruelty free.
Wow, wouldn't have even thought to look at baking soda. The only think you don't have to check is water, and even then you can't be sure!

·
Registered
236 Posts
i know! it's insane! i never would have thought about that either. why????? blows my mind.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Um, I know this is a stupid question...but what's the difference between baking powder and baking soda? (You can tell I don't bake much...!) Which will I need in the cake?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Both baking soda and baking powder are leavening agents, which means they are added to baked goods before cooking to produce carbon dioxide and cause them to 'rise'. Baking powder contains baking soda, but the two substances are used under different conditions.

·
Banned
1,726 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdo vegan chick View Post

Wow, I did not know this. Ya learn something new every day

·
Registered
236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitLuvr View Post

Does A&H test the actual baking soda/powder on animals, or does A&H, as a company, test products in general?

Maybe a splitting hairs sort of distinction, but baking soda/powder has been around so long I don't know why they'd continue testing.
this is what i found
http://tangergreen.com/cruelty-free-...bobs-red-mill/

seems crazy doesn't it.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiholic View Post

I'm pretty sure it's fine in the UK at least.
Are you sure? I hope so, I'm not sure if I can get any different stuff in time :S

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitLuvr View Post

Does A&H test the actual baking soda/powder on animals, or does A&H, as a company, test products in general?

Maybe a splitting hairs sort of distinction, but baking soda/powder has been around so long I don't know why they'd continue testing.
Baking soda was one of my first products to obsess on when I went vegan. It is that Church and Dwight test other products-not the baking soda.
I love Bob's Red Mill products in general, but only the soda in health food stores at a much higher price, and online shipping is high. I use a lot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvourmother View Post

just use generic
Generics are most likely produced by the same company as Arm and Hammer, so no difference. I do buy Aldis which I think has a better chance of being made from another producer, but don't know.

Researching this has led me to switch to a natural laundry detergent that doesn't use anything animal tested!

Baking powder and soda are very different! Powder is a combination of ingrediants which cause batters to rise on it's own. Soda needs an acid like vinegar added to liquids to use a chemical reaction to make cakes rise.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bekka View Post

Are you sure? I hope so, I'm not sure if I can get any different stuff in time :S
I've never heard anything about it in the UK. I'm not 100% certain, but I think the UK vegan society, animalaid.org.uk, and/or viva.org.uk would know about it if it was an issue and there's no mention of it on their websites. If you want a definitive answer, it might be a good idea to email one of those organisations. But, in the mean time, I'd just go for the Dove's farm one if you don't already have any or use what you have (if you do have some).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts