VeggieBoards banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

Lets start sharing some interesting Vegan Cooking tips.
- I usually like to avoid Cooking cream in any of my recipes though it changes the taste of the recipe but i have found a better option ie. I grind Cashews and use Cashew paste as cooking cream and trust me not one till date have found out in any of my recipes.
- Vegan Baking- Instead of using Shortening I prefer to use clarified butter/Ghee (Made of vegetable oil) one will get better results.
- Vegan Baking - In your Cake recipe add Sparkling Water instead Soda.

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
Hello,

Lets start sharing some interesting Vegan Cooking tips.
- I usually like to avoid Cooking cream in any of my recipes though it changes the taste of the recipe but i have found a better option ie. I grind Cashews and use Cashew paste as cooking cream and trust me not one till date have found out in any of my recipes.
- Vegan Baking- Instead of using Shortening I prefer to use clarified butter/Ghee one will get better results.
- Vegan Baking - In your Cake recipe add Sparkling Water instead Soda.
Clarified butter/ghee is not vegan. You are aware that you are posting this in the Vegan subforum right?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello,

Yes i am aware that i am tying into Vegan Forum. Its my mistake their are Vegetable Clarified Butter available in the market which can be used in Baking.

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
Hello,

Yes i am aware that i am tying into Vegan Forum. Its my mistake their are Vegetable Clarified Butter available in the market which can be used in Baking.
What is a vegetable clarified butter?

I think the best tip is to try everything till you find the way you like things. If I listened to others advice I might not be enjoying tofu as they've said to freeze it and press it before cooking. Yech

I love to read cookbooks, not follow them. I think I've been told as many tips I've disliked as those that I have!

I'm making chocolate chip cookies today! I've used recipes that simply left the eggs out, replaced with starch, replaced with flax. Meh. I tried one that used 1/4 cup of besan with water for the eggs and they were the best I ever made. I'm going to sub coconut oil this time

Besan, cashews, and silken tofu are probably my favorite replacements

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Vegetable Clarified Butter is Vegetable Oil (Ghee) which are available is market. You can find the same with the name (Ghee) but check the ingredients before buying as it normal ghee contains milk. Only few brands have option of "Vegetable Ghee".

Also, Even i will experimenting gets you best results, but sometimes Tips really help you with best of the recipes.

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
Seitan--
Needs fat for proper gluten development
No more than 1/4 cup of not gluten (like beans or other flour) to each cup of wheat gluten
If baking, wrap well and use broiler pan filled with water
Add lots of flavor IN the seitan
Vegan mayo gives a bologna like texture
If simmering never let water/broth go over a low simmer
For simmered seiten, coat in flour/crumbs and sautee for cutlets

When using egg replacers- starchs, besan, agar--dissolve in water before adding

in baking, beat oils and sugar (I forget why - develops something)

Frozen vegetables--let thaw, perfect for stir fries

Immersion blender-- perfect for blending right on stove top, easy clean up

Whenever possible, add nutritional yeast before serving. Heating reduces nutritional values. Check for added b12

Cast iron is perfect for veg cooking and adds iron

When making soup, shred some veggies rather instead of adding premade broth.

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
Vegetable Clarified Butter is Vegetable Oil (Ghee) which are available is market. You can find the same with the name (Ghee) but check the ingredients before buying as it normal ghee contains milk. Only few brands have option of "Vegetable Ghee".

Also, Even i will experimenting gets you best results, but sometimes Tips really help you with best of the recipes.
Thanks for the clarification! I had no idea there was a such thing as vegetable based clarified butter or ghee.

I love utilizing my steamer basket for sweet potatoes, potatoes, carrots, Brussel sprouts, asparagus, and other harder veggies and tubers. It reduces the cooking time substantially and leaves a lot of the nutrients in.

I also love using a crockpot for large batches of soups, bean dishes, and hot cereal. I would advise to make sure you are going to be home when you have it running though, whether overnight or during the day. With all the crazy stuff happening to electronics nowadays, you never know!

Spices are your best friend when it comes to cooking! I love to keep on hand garlic cloves, ginger, fresh parsley and basil (I grow my own), fresh lemons, cinnamon, cumin, turmeric and lots of others. Today I made a batch of homemade falafal patties for my work week lunches, and just adding fresh parsley to it made a huge difference! Salt and pepper are overrated. :)

If I am cooking multiple dishes at once, I start with those that will take the longest, such as brown rice or roasting vegetables. Then while that is going I go on to the next dish and so on. It helps to have ingredients assembled before starting.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts