VeggieBoards banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I searched for some answers but didn't really find anything, so I thought I'd ask here.<br><br>
I've been in the process of cutting down on my dairy for a while now. We've probably cut out 80% of the dairy we eat, and stopped buying new leather and wool products (yay). But the biggest thorn in my side is coffee. We make coffee at home every morning, and I like my coffee very sweet and very light. Right now I am using half & half (please no comments on the calories or whatever, I don't care) and I have tried to not use half & half but come back to it every time. We don't have a lot of options for vegan cream where we are. I've tried the Silk vanilla cream, and I just hate the taste of soy milk, and I think it tastes gross in coffee. I also don't want to use the Coffee Mate, since that has hydrogenated oils in it. Is there some kind of coconut cream I can use? Or some kind of cut cream I can make? Every couple of months we make a drive out to the capital to stock up on foods we can get where we live, so I can keep my eye out for vegan goods we don't have here.<br><br>
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Coffee Mate also isn't vegan -- it has casein in it. Very frustrating that all of the "non dairy" mainstream creamers have casein.<br><br>
I asked this question a few weeks ago and someone recommended I try MimicCreme. I still haven't seen it in any stores, but ordered some of the Hazelnut Biscotti coffee creamer from Amazon and I really like it. I had to buy 6 though. It is VERY thick...thicker than half & half. More like heavy cream in texture. I think it creams it very well even though it still doesn't color it as light as the liquid Coffee Mate.<br><br>
I have also heard that coconut milk is good in coffee but I haven't tried it.<br><br>
You might check the stores you go to occasionally for the MimicCreme...it is shelf stable until opened so probably either with the coffee or the shelf stable soy milk.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the suggestions! I'll keep my eyes peeled tomorrow at the store for the MimicCreme : )

1 - 3 of 3 Posts