VeggieBoards banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody. I just joined here yesterday, so I don't know anybody and I have not read much of the other posts yet. However, I just had a quick question that I hoped others could help me out with. I clicked on a link that someone posted on this site: www.veganessex.org.uk

On the front of the page there are some people wearing vegan shirts. I've been very interested lately in things of this sort - whether advertising that I support veg*ns, or whether I hope it will strike up a conversation with a curious individual. For Christmas this year I got my first piece of veg*n clothing: a "Vegetarian Planet" sweatshirt from veganstreet.com. I feel at the same time proud and out-of-place when I wear it around. I'm sure this is my own fault, but I have always been fond of people who can blatantly advertise their abnormal views with no self-conscience thoughts. For instance, I was recently surprised to see a huge dude with a shaved head, etc., buying a bunch of whiskey from the liquor store who had "Vegan" tattooed on his leg.

So here are my two questions: first, does anybody know of any good places (over the internet probably, since I live in Colorado) to buy some good veg*n clothes? And, second, how does everybody cope with advertising/letting-others-know/explaining an abnormal position (veg*nism) to people around them? I think this is the main reason that I wanted to find a site like this one. I wanted to get support from like-minded people so I will be stronger in my own assertion of my actions. I can always tell myself that I'm doing the right thing, but it's been harder for me to tell others my views with assurance. I am usually left feeling like I'm an idiot. It's not that I do not know what I'm talking about. I am currently writing my Honors Thesis for my Bachelors degree on animal rights. However, I think that the problem is that the strange reaction from the majority of society has left me feeling somewhat uneasy. So, any suggestions/comments?? Thanks for listening to me ramble.

·
Registered
0 Posts
To answer your first question, you can check:

www.veganstore.com

www.veganessentials.com

www.veganmercantile.com

www.peta.org

All of these where vegan message clothing, stickers, etc.

As far as your second question goes, I've never actually had anyone approach me about my veganism when I've been wearing any of my vegan message stuff. BUT, I've had to explain and defend veganism MANY times to MANY different people.

The most important thing is that you're really educated about vegan/AR issues. You've got to be able to provide accurate, objective information. You know? You have to know what you're talking about, plain and simple. The quickest way to discredit yourself is to have no earthly idea what you're talking about. Read up as much as you can, and it sounds like you've already done lots that since you're writing a thesis on AR issues. (Which is totally cool, by the way! Lots of luck with that!)

The way you talk to people is critical. I think lots of people get turned off to veganism/AR stuff because they feel as though they're being attacked, as though veg*ans are militant folks. And, hey, there's nothing wrong with being militant with your views and thoughts, but you've got to have some tact and sensitivity. Otherwise, no one wants to hear you. Don't be aggressive or hostile, just give 'em the facts. If you don't know the answer to something, say you don't know. Don't make it up. Then go look that **** up and find out!

It always helps to bring things down to a personal level. I say that this is my personal choice, I don't force it on anyone. I explain what drew me to veg*anism, what books I've read, my favorite websites, etc.

I hope that helps.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
http://www.veganvalues.org/when_question.htm

This is the most together vegan ever and all his articles are worth reading, especially this one. I've been Veg*n 30+ years and I still learned a lot from him.

Stanley M. Sapon, Ph.D.

Professor Emeritus of Psycholinguistics

University of Rochester (NY)

It is no surprise that Vegans face challenges. Contrary to popular expectations, however, finding acceptable food is only one of them...and it is far from the greatest one.

The most serious challenge that Vegans confront has nothing to do with eating, but with talking.

As people whose dietary behavior is noticeably different from the mainstream, they often provoke -- without premeditated missionary intent -- comments and invitations to dialogue from those around them. At this point in the life of a Vegan the word "communication" takes on a special urgency. ...................

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
that's an awesome article you posted, spud. thanks a lot for that reference. i'm only about 2 years into veganism, and i've been doing it all on my own, so i've never really known what to say to people in some situations. when a person asks, "why are you a vegan," but they really dont care about the question, i was always confused by whether i should explain it, say nothing, or try and come up with a witty one-liner. in any case, i'm still not sure what to say to a person like this, but at least i have a little more insight into it.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
"when a person asks, "why are you a vegan,"

it totally varies on the situation/person, but I do have a tendency to say "because it makes me happy" and smile. If they are in the slightest bit interested in either me or veganism they'll ask some more questions.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Zoebird,

While its not a church-required action, I also tend to shy away from using my clothing to advertise. I have a great time in my "(I have the) World's Best Grandpa" sweatshirt, and I have some t-shirts from a few sports teams I've been on, but other than that, I tend not to advertise.

Is that what you were talking about?

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
skylark:

Yeah, that might be it. It somehow goes against my fibers. like eating meat. it started with that 'uneasy' feeling. I really have a hard time advertising *anything!*

for example, my friend gave me a sweatshirt that she didn't want anymore. it's a simple, navy sweatshirt with the word "Boston" on it in simple white writing. I never wear it to work in. I hardly ever wear it out of the house because advertising for "Boston" seems uncomfortable.

I can't quite put my finger on it really, and it certainly isn't a dictate from the churchs that i've been to/go to. it's just one of those things. Also, when it comes to more dsiruptive topics such as abortion, vegetarianism, etc, i tend to really shy away from those because i don't want to start anything.

People don't need to know that i'm vegan unless they really need to know then i tell them. Not a big deal to me! i'll discuss it if they wish. . .but i see no reason to walk around with a big "i'm vegan" sign around my neck. it's just not that important.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Zoebird,

I'd like to know which marketer or group of marketers convinced all the 'cool kids' that it was 'cool' to pay the Gap, A&F, etc to be niche marketers for them. I mean, it's a brilliant marketing strategy. I just don't like the real-world application of it.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I wonder if it'd be helpfull if people discribed a favorite type of vegan clothing. I am sure it can seem daunting to those just starting to cut animal products from what they wear.

I practically live in dickies work pants, t shirts and sweatshirts.

At work it's usually dickies and some kinda a polo shirt or other shirt with a collar. or a thermal shirt if it's cold

1 - 13 of 13 Posts