VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a recipe for vegan choux pastry? Or any ideas on how to go about making it? I've been told it's possible, i just cant seem to find a recipe or actually anything mentioned on it anywhere.

Anyone?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did consider store brought puff pastry, but considering i was wanting to adapt choux pastry to be not only vegan but gluten free, thats really not an option. The doughnut idea could work though, i may have to have a little experiement.

·
Registered
57 Posts
i researched this in the past and it seems that if anyone has a decent recipe, they're keeping it a secret. several vegan chefs claim they could not come up with a proper substitute, since all the different properties of eggs are pretty much essential. the only advice i've seen in the past is like ~wonder said, experiment with yeasty doughs that are somewhat similar. i seriously think of it as the vegan holy grail, so if you manage to come up with a recipe, gluten free or not, please do share!

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I saw your picture in the gallery, what recipe did you end up using?

Another idea I had was using a wonton wrapper, seal a piece of margarine inside, like a ravioli, and then bake it. It might puff up enough to put some vegan pastry cream inside, although I'm not sure if the texture would be all that similar to an eclair.

~Wondre

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Wonder View Post

I saw your picture in the gallery, what recipe did you end up using?

Another idea I had was using a wonton wrapper, seal a piece of margarine inside, like a ravioli, and then bake it. It might puff up enough to put some vegan pastry cream inside, although I'm not sure if the texture would be all that similar to an eclair.

~Wondre
I used a recipe i made up myself for the ones i made and what annoyed me was that before i baked it the mixture looked identical to choux pastry, though obvioussly in the end didnt turn out that way. They were pretty tasty more doughnutty than eclair like, and due to the use of gluten free flours they wernt smooth, though i now have a tip on how to get round that so i may try again some time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.