VeggieBoards banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at the back of the soy cheese rapper at the store, and one of the ingrediants were "casien" (A milk derivative) I looked at all of the cheeses and they all had casien in them. So, is it REALLY vegan?

Can vegans still eat it?

(I'm sorry if this has already been discussed...I'm new here.)

<3

SXC

·
Registered
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyBoysWin View Post

I was looking at the back of the soy cheese rapper at the store, and one of the ingrediants were "casien" (A milk derivative) I looked at all of the cheeses and they all had casien in them. So, is it REALLY vegan?

Can vegans still eat it?

(I'm sorry if this has already been discussed...I'm new here.)

<3

SXC
o well idk lol

·
Registered
78 Posts
Casein isn't vegan because it is a milk derivative! I don't even know why they make "vegetarian" cheese like that when vegetarians usually eat cheese. There is a great vegan cheese that melts and is truly awesome! It's called "Follow Your Heart" and you can get it at this website: www.imearthkind.com if you live in the US. The shipping and handling is expensive though. See if there's any health food stores in your area that carry that brand of cheese. Or they may have something called "Scheese," but I haven't tried that one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OH WOW! Thankyou!

I've been vegan for over a year and always wondered why they make soy cheese with casien in it. I guess it for vegeterians who are on a lower fat diet?

I do live in the US , but I've been looking for soy cheese for a while now. I will look for that brand in the healthfood stores around me.

Again! Thank you very much!

<3

SXC

·
Registered
48 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyBoysWin View Post

OH WOW! Thankyou!

I've been vegan for over a year and always wondered why they make soy cheese with casien in it. I guess it for vegeterians who are on a lower fat diet?
The companies that make soy cheese with casein in them are not directing their product towards vegans or vegetarians, they are usually aimed at those who are allergic to dairy or lactose intolerant and want an alternative. Hope this helps

·
Registered
74 Posts
Soy cheese with casein is aimed solidly at lactose intolerant folk (and ovo-lacto-vegetarians). Anyone with a milk allergy cannot eat it, as casein is one of the milk proteins that the allergy reacts to. I bought some not realizing that it contained milk proteins, and broke out in hives. Whoops. Then I researched it and realized why (I am allergic to milk products).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts