VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I know there are loads of threads for vegan cheese in the UK but this isn't for me, this is for a restaurant.

Does anybody know which brands are really good and can be ordered online or will be available to buy in North Wales area?

I don't really know because I didn't eat vegan cheese when I was vegan so I need your help!

A sort of feta cheese style would be best, if that even exists...

(My best friend is the head chef at the restaurant and I said I would ask you guys for him. It's not a veg*n restaurant but they do cater for vegetarians and vegans. )

Thank you!

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
^
I haven't tasted Vegusto yet but I have heard very good things about it and I know people that order it online.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Annia would it be very cheeky to ask the approximate location of the restaurant? I ask becase I ate at a restaurant in North Wales a week ago when I was visiting family and asked them to veganise some dishes for me. It was in Ruthin, nearish to Wrexham.

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
I ordered some Vegusto and I tried the No-Moo Classic and the No-Moo Melty and the melty one was definitely the best! I still have some No-Moo Herb to try.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi I realise this thread has not been posted in for a while but yeah

I tried tesco free from soya cheese and there is a funny taste to it that I cannot stand , the same taste is there in the cheese spread but not as strong and its nice when mixed 1 to 1 with soya spread mushed into a jacket spud ... om nom

Do all vegan cheeses taste the same?

·
Banned
7,160 Posts
No they don't, but many of them have that unpleasant taste you're describing. I know just the one you mean, yuck. Keep trying and you might find one you like although some people (like me) have given up and just don't eat vegan cheese at all.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthling View Post

No they don't, but many of them have that unpleasant taste you're describing. I know just the one you mean, yuck. Keep trying and you might find one you like although some people (like me) have given up and just don't eat vegan cheese at all.
Thanks for this reply. I think ill just give up now as the taste was revolting and made me bork and I am quite happy with just soya spread on a spud its gorgeous , ill not bother with cheesy potato every again lol.

I am not actually vegan but dairy is an area that I have to keep minimal in my diet otherwise it plays havoc with my internals! The only dairy I eat is cheese sometimes the rest is soya/nut/rice based alternatives. Becoming a vegan is something id like to aim for and get as close to as possible but I dont think ill ever give myself the title of vegan and I need to learn a hell of a lot more about nutrition before moving away from quorn!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I tried tofutti cheese for a pizza, which you can buy in holland and barrat it was ok, I did a little mixture between the mozzarella and cheddar. However my girlfriend tried it raw and said it was awful.

I've heard good things about daiya cheese from the states, however I don't think we can get hold of it over here.... I want to try the no-moo stuff now to see how that goes!

·
Banned
7,160 Posts
I want to try Daiya too, and Teese. But I don't hold out much hope that I'll like it, lots of people rave about Sheese here...

·
Registered
304 Posts
I've managed a very convincing cauliflower cheese made with cheese powder and vegan parmesane cheese. I forget the brands but both came from Elixier Foods in Wadebridge where I get vegan tuna and fish fingers. PM me if you want the brands and I'll call the shop as I have to place an order anyhow. I've still yet to find a cheese that has'nt the weird taste twixy mentions above. It reminds me of burning,damp wood.

Ciao...Frame.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
The problem with vegan cheese is, going right from eating cows milk cheese to eating soy cheese, youre going to notice a difference, and it will be unpleasant. Perhaps giving up cheese for a while then trying a vegan cheese works better.

When i first stopped eating meat, the fake meats were horrible to me. So I stuck with bean, pulses etcetc...then about a year later tried some fake meat and loved it! Forgetting what the 'real' thing tastes like is a bonus to giving up dairy.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I need to try several different cheeses to find an acceptable one. Egg free mayo also has this woody/damp tang for me. (old bookshops is how I once described it)

Frame.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
The tiger tiger mayo tastes more like Diet salad cream to me...but I prefer salad cream over mayo anyway...(Asda Lighter Salad cream is Vegan)

·
Registered
304 Posts
I live in a part of the UK where it can be difficult to find vegan products unless I go on the internet. I make 80/90 % of my own food.

Cheers,Frame.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts