VeggieBoards banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any suggestions on good vegan cheese alternitives? I have used veggie slices in the past but they are not completley vegan...they have small amounts of a milk product in them. Anyone have any suggestions. Our giant eagle here usually has a good selection of organic and vegetarian foods....but not too much vegan...and no completley vegan cheese exc. I assume I could purcahse foods online. Please post suggestions. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Follow Your Heart Vegan Gourmet cheese is really good. It's completely vegan and is made with all natural ingredients. It even melts. My kids can't tell the difference between it and real cheese when I use it in recipes (I wouldn't just eat a hunk of it though.)

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
If you want it more of a sauce, I recommend making your own. Here's my favourite recipe:

Lessarella Cheez

Source: Country Life Vegetarian Cookbook

Ingredients:

2 cups water

1 Tbs lemon juice

1/2 cup Nutritional Yeast

1/2 cup quick oats

1/4 cup arrowroot or cornstarch

1 Tbs onion powder

1/4 cup tahini (if you don't have tahini, you can use sesame seeds - tahini is sesame seed paste)

1 tsp salt

Optional: You can also add 1/2 chopped red bell pepper if you want to make the cheese more orange coloured. Also, if you are not going to set the cheese, you can leave out the cornstarch. The oats are enough to thicken the cheese for pizzas and other savoury cheese dishes.

Instructions:

Blend all ingredients on high for one minute. Pour into saucepan and cook on medium, stirring constantly until thickened. Put into loaf pan or other mold. Delicious on crackers, pizza or in sandwiches. For pizza or fondue, use half the amount of arrowroot.

You can use this cheese on pizzas, to make lasagna, macaroni cheese, on the top of mashed potatoes when making a bean shepherd's pie, on toast with tomatoes. You can make it thick and set it and cut it the next day or you can make it thinner and pour it over vegetables as a cheese sauce.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I liked the follow your heart vegan cheddar, that was good. I made a grilled cheese with it the other night and you would never know it was not real cheddar. I tried the follow your heart mozzerella and I did not like it very much, it did not melt either for some reason.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
I used the mozzerella in last night's lasagne. cheese on the inside melted fine but the cheese sprinkled on top didn't melt completely. It was delish though. I was amazed how much like ricotta the crumbled up tofu tasted. Just goes to show how tasteless ricotta really is.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts