VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the best way to get your calcium is from greens and almonds and things of the like, but it's still kinda hard sometimes.

And I know people stopped eating gummy bears because they usually have gelatin in them..

Well my mom bought me these calcium gummy bears with no gelatin in them. They're kind of gross anyway, but they still work. I think she bought them at drugstore.com.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sesame seeds are also an excellent source of calcium...especially if you sprout them, because the calcium content rockets up to hundreds more what it originally was. There's this really cool book called "Not Milk...NUT MILKS!" by Candia Lea Cole with 40 recipes of nut milks where most have lots of calcium. And they all sound so tasty...like "Mocha Mint Almond Milk", "Blueberry Cashew Milk", "Lemon Coconut Cashew Milk", "Banana Cream Pecan Milk", "Ginger Sweet Pine Nut Milk", "Blackbery Banana Walnut Milk", "Chocolate Mountain Pumpkinseed Milk", "Cinnamon Spiced Sunflower Seed Milk"....and so on. This is making me hungry. YUM.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I've sprouted millet and wheatberries in the past, but never sesame. Here's what I found. ~Pixie

Seed: sesame seeds

Soaking Time (hrs): 4-6

Sprouting Time (days): 3

Quantity: 1 cup

Yield: 1 cups

How to sprout easily at home:

All you need is a large empty jam jar, a piece of cheesecloth, rubber band, fresh water and some dried seeds or beans. Alternatively you can purchase a sprouting tray kit* in a Garden Center or Health Food store. Sprouting kits cost approximately $30 Australian and are a little bit easier to use, especially if you are sprouting lots of sprouts at the same time.

*If you are using a sprouting tray system follow the instructions that come along with the kit.

The four simple steps of sprouting:

a) Rinse the seeds well. Place them in the jar. Cover the seeds with 5 cm cool filtered or boiled water. Cover the jar with the cheesecloth secured with the rubber band. Leave over night in a warm, dark place. Sprouts love humidity and warmth, 70% humidity and temperatures between 18 and 22 degrees is the ideal environment for their growth.

b) Next day: Empty the water and rinse the seeds with fresh water. Drain the seeds well and return them to their dark spot. Do this twice a day until the seeds will start to sprout.

c) Then tilt the jar 45 degrees facing downwards to allow the sprouts to grow up the jar more easily. Keep rinsing the sprouts with water twice a day and place them back into position. For a few hours each day place your sprouts into the sunlight to give them an energy boost.

d) When they are fully-grown store them in an airtight container in the fridge and eat them within 3 days to receive most of the vitality and life force they contain.

Most seeds are ready within 24 hours. Others can take up to 5 days. It is not advisable to keep any sprouts more than 5-6 days as their roots will grow too long and often they develop a bitter taste. You can sprout any seed, nut, grain and bean you wish. Most seeds are available at very cheap prices in Health Food stores.

Some sprouts are tastier and easier to digest if the hulls are removed. When you rinse lentil or mung bean sprouts for example for the last time put them into a large bowl. Then run water over them squeezing the sprouts to remove the hulls. Soaking the sprouts in warm water for a while also helps to remove unwanted hulls.

http://www.allorganic.net/sproutseeds.html

·
Registered
326 Posts
Herself, I'm really interested in the Chocolate Mountain Pumpkinseed Milk and the Cinn. Spiced Sunflower Seed Milk. Would you post the recipes, please?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Congratz on finding gummi bears AND calcium! Now, you can nosh happily.

For calcium, flip through my post on 1000mg of calcium per day. For quick reference, some vegan high calcium foods are:

some tofus (check label)

fortified milks (check label)

almonds/almond butter

blackstrap molasses (slightly more calories then air)

broccoli

oranges

OJ w/ calcium

green leafy vegetables (kale, bok choy, collard greens, mixed green salad greens)

white navy beans

pinto beans

chickpeas

1 - 9 of 9 Posts