VeggieBoards banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to a cafe for my lunch yesterday and I decided to try the vegan breakfast. i was quite please that there was actually a vegan option..however...when it arrived there was a pig poachjed egg sitting on the grilled bread! I horrified! I couldn't believe they would right on the menu Vegan breakfast...and I cleary said to the man...VEGAN breakfast. AN EGG! on my food! so i had to eat round it and there were bits of egg white splattered on the lettuce and grilled bread !!

Then i went to the eat the "soy" sausages...well they were awful pink looking inside. I'm not too sure what they were but isn't soy usually a beigey colour?! EUGH see if they were meat i could be sick right now....ahh the thought of it...i should have complained im such an idiot i just paid and walked out, in shock!

If they don't know what a vegan is then it should not be on the menu

·
Registered
712 Posts
Oo that is absolutely awful !! Yuck.

Such a shame it wasnt yummy scrambled tofu.

Im the sort of person who doesnt make a fuss and i probably would have done the same as you - just paid my money and ran.. But i think you could maybe go back and say something. Its just wrong for them to serve an egg as part of a 'Vegan breakfast' (not to mention possibly dodgy sausage).

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
It's amazing how many people don't know what "vegan" means. My friend, for example, kept proudly showing me the "vegan" dishes she'd prepared for me -- all with cheese or other dairy. She meant well! But I had to explain the vegetarian/vegan difference like 5 times before she cottoned on.

However, a restaurant has a RESPONSIBILITY to understand how they are labeling the food on their menu. I wonder who told the owner that eggs are "vegan"?

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
P.S. If you don't want a confrontation, you could write a letter politely explaining that they may be a little confused about their definitions ....

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree with the letter writing idea. They make dairy-free pies that have honey in them at a NFS I go to every once in a while. I didn't bother reading the ingredients the first time I saw them because they said "vegan" on them. When I got it home, I discovered the honey on the ingredient list. So, I wrote them a polite letter, asking them to please change the description to "dairy free". Next time I went there, the label was changed!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
haha cool! good for you flower...

well I'm thinking that maybe they just gave the order in to the chef wrong and s/he must have got it wrong thinking it was just a vegetarian one. Duno..but I'll consider writing them a letter

·
Banned
559 Posts
damn, that's not cool!

yeah, the health food store where i used to live claimed that honey was vegan..so all their baked goods (TONS of them!) were labeled vegan..and they would have been without the honey.

so i inquired within. and it ended being a pretty big arguement, heh...the dude just didnt understand. but finally he agreed (more or less) with me and the next time i went back..they had taken all the honey out of the baked goods (again, many many!) and now they could actually say vegan and mean it.

i was happy

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How terrible!

I would have refused to eat it and asked to see the store owner. I guess there is a lot of people who are ingorant to the meaning of vegan. I always eat at home or Ellwood Thompson's who know what vegan means if I eat out. I used to eat the occasional Subway Roll and Vegan (w/o cheese) bean burrito from Taco Bell, but don't even do that any more.

Shannon/Zimma

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Hedgefrog

I went to a cafe for my lunch yesterday and I decided to try the vegan breakfast. i was quite please that there was actually a vegan option..however...when it arrived there was a pig poachjed egg sitting on the grilled bread! I horrified! I couldn't believe they would right on the menu Vegan breakfast...and I cleary said to the man...VEGAN breakfast. AN EGG! on my food! so i had to eat round it and there were bits of egg white splattered on the lettuce and grilled bread !!

Then i went to the eat the "soy" sausages...well they were awful pink looking inside. I'm not too sure what they were but isn't soy usually a beigey colour?! EUGH see if they were meat i could be sick right now....ahh the thought of it...i should have complained im such an idiot i just paid and walked out, in shock!

If they don't know what a vegan is then it should not be on the menu
Yeah, the most shocking thing is that you didn't complain. Is it possible they simply mixed up your order in the kitchen? You have to communicate with your waiter in these situations. I realize not everyone is comfortable being assertive, but when you're spending money, particularly on food, you have every right to get exactly what you ordered, and the vast majority of restaurants agree with that concept, as they realize how easy it is to lose customers, and how hard it is to keep them.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I once went to a restaraunt that was clearly advertised itself as vegan-friendly. I ordered a veggie pasta bowl there.. and it came out with quite a bit of grated parmesean on top - there was no mention of cheese on the menu description, and every other restaruant i've been to before *asks* before putting parm on top of your pasta. So I sent it back. I made no direct complaint about them labeling themselves as vegan friendly, but i guess someone clued them in, because some time after that incident I saw an ad for the place again - very similar to the one I had seen before, except there was no mention of the word vegan in it at all.

I've heard elsewhere that often people get confused and assume that vegan is just merely a contraction of vegetarian - that it means the same thing. I'm sure most people won't mind being corrected on this issue.. and it'll save future vegans from falling into the same situation later on.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Are you sure the server didn't just give you the wrong dish?

People should feel comfortable letting their server know that something's not right with what they ordered. A good restaurant wants their customers to be happy, not to be silently resentful, or disappointed. I waitered and bartended for a few years in my early twenties, and it was no problem to take a dish back, and try again. I wasn't insulted, the kitchen wasn't offended, and the owner wasn't put out.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
LOL!

I don't like to make a fuss either, but in this case, I'd have wanted to talk to the manager directly to make sure they know what I mean. I mean they advertise it as vegan. It's not right, and it will be similarly inconvenient for more fellow vegans as they will order it, thinking it's vegan.

I would talk to the manager to make sure that my point is heard and understood and not forgotten by the waiter. You don't need to argue - you can and should do this in a very friendly way! Peace! Where's the problem?

Don't be too hard on yourself, though. Even if you eat occasionally a bit of animal products (unknowingly), it's OK. It's not gonna kill you, and it's the spirit that counts!

·
Registered
428 Posts
My first thought is that they just mixed up your order and the problem could have been resloved very easily by talking to your server. I waited tables through high school and college and I never minded correcting a problem for a polite customer. People do make mistakes! Most servers want you to be happy because that means bigger tips and returning customers. Sorry that happened to you but please ask politely if there was a mistake next time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.