VeggieBoards banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone knows of things to watch out for when looking at bread, that would make it non-vegan. also, should I just try and buy advertised vegan bread? what do most of you do?

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I live in a small town and can only buy 1 kind of vegan bread, so I usually make my own.

I use my bread machine a lot! I use 3 different recipes over and over pretty much.

Sometimes my oldest daughter brings bread when she visits.

The label says Flour, water, salt, yeast basically. I never use bread with "dough conditioners" etc.

Making bread in a bread machine takes less than 10 minutes and it is very inexpensive.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I buy my bread, it's organic and doesn't have all those extra ingredients like animal mono and di-glycerides. Sugar is in many breads also and if you're a vegan that avoids refined sugar then you have to watch out for that obviously.

·
Registered
152 Posts
L-cystiene, and any of the "stear" words...

On another thread somebody mentioned Cobblestone Mills has wheat bread that's safe, I still need to go look for it though. I would make some in my bread machine, but I'm out of yeast! And if I have to go to the store anyway, buying bread would be so much easier than having to go get yeast then make it myself. It's been so long since I've been able to just buy bread, sigh.

Oh yeah, a lot of brands of bagels and pitas are safer than regular bread, you just have to check the ingredients for stuff slipping in.

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
I usually just glance for "stear...", mono and diglycerides, enzymes, l-cysteine, and honey.

Hehe- Cheap bread usually doesn't have honey, because it's expensive.

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
Oh yea: Sara Lee bagels are all vegan (except for the honey-wheat). Lender's assured me their suspicious ingredients (such as "enzyme") are all vegetable derived.

For a regular, cheap loaf of bread, I usually get Giant brand (you know, the Super G?) wheat bread. If you're on the east coast, most of Giant's bread products are vegan.

·
Registered
312 Posts
the vermont bread company makes organic bread in a whole bunch of different varieties. i'm not sure if it's only an east coast thing, though...

·
Banned
261 Posts
I don't get bread the grocerrey store, except sometimes this awful sprouted grain bread if I'm desperate. Usually they have some kind of fresh-baked vegan bread at the health food store near me, usuall more than one kind, if not, they have lots in the freezer. And the good thing is that about the only ingredients you need to look out for are eggs, honey, milk, maybe whey. No worrying about weird hidden ingredients. Plus, a lot of the time the breads are organic, and they never contain that cheap, crappy, evil refined white bleached bromated flour.

Cassie

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
On the West Coast getting vegan whole wheat bread is a near impossibility. I buy that "awful sprouted bread"
. I've found that after having it for awhile, I've grown used to it and actually like it now, even without toasting.

If you have a Trader Joe's near you their spouted soy bread is great. It's much better than the Ezekiel variety from Food for Life.

Pita and white breads (like sourdough, baguettes, French loaves, and dinner rolls) are usually much safer than multi-grain or whole wheat varieties. It's that damn honey that's such a killer for any vegan who wants a decent loaf of 100% whole wheat.

Hey Mushroom, can you post/e-mail your bread machine recipes? I used to have a machine, but every recipe called for powdered milk (powdered soy milk didn't work very well). I'd buy a new machine if I could have decent whole wheat bread.

·
Banned
261 Posts
I actually like Ezekiel Bread, the green package burger buns kind especially, but there's this awful stuff they sel lat our grocerrey store, I think it's from California. When I went to the San Francisco Whole Foods I was shocked to find that only ONE bread in the whole store was vegan, and it didn't even taste that good!! I mean, you'd think that San Francisco, being the veg-forward city it is, would have more than one kind of vegan bread at their Whole foods....wow!!

I live in a not too veg-friendly area in Pensnylvania and I usually don't have a hard time finding a vegan bread. Weird, you wouldn't really expect that, I guess...?

Cassie

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
bump/

It looks like the Wild Oats brand organic hot dog buns are vegan. I was checking the ingredients yesterday, waiting for that dreaded word "honey" to pop up somewhere in the list, and it didn't.
I didn't check the ingredients list for their hamburger buns, but it might be the same. The hot dog buns aren't too bad flavor-wise, either.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have ww bread that just has sugar so it depends if you avoid that, it's Kingsmill Tasty Wholemeal (UK though) and also if you're UK then Tesco ww pitas are vegan.

does anyone here make their own 100% wholemeal bread? I tried it but the bread was way too heavy, the only way I've found is to use 50/50 ww and white flour but I'd rather have 100%

1 - 18 of 18 Posts