VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! Sorry if somebody already made a thread like this. Ever since I've gone vegan, I haven't been able to find any vegan bread. I've been living of Thomas Plain Bagels and Azteric Tortillas. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Granted I am in the UK, but over here by far and away the majority of pre packed bread loaves from white, to wholemeal to Granary are vegan friendly. It's the fresh baked ones that aren't.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat Race View Post

Granted I am in the UK, but over here by far and away the majority of pre packed bread loaves from white, to wholemeal to Granary are vegan friendly. It's the fresh baked ones that aren't.
Shoot. I should move to the UK. XD I live in the USA, and I can't find anything.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
whole foods has a variety of vegan breads but they can be a bit expensive. publix has a few cheaper options at their bakery that are vegan afaik

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Try Arnold's brand if it is available in your area. SOME of their's appear to be vegan. I have read every label of every bread in the grocery stores I shop at!! VERY challenging to find mainstream affordable vegan bread.... Invest in a bread machine and make your own.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I have found some packaged breads that are vegan, although I can't recall specific brands. Arnold hamburger buns are vegan, as best I can tell. You can check the ingredients of their breads on their website too.

I've also found some bakery breads that are vegan--sourdough seems to be a common one.

If you're at all interested in making your own bread, I highly recommend the bread in 5 minutes a day method. It's a very easy method - no kneading or bread machine required. The 5 minutes a day thing is not an exaggeration - of course it takes longer than that to rise, but you only need about 5 minutes a day of active time. Recipes found here - not all are vegan, but many are.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat Race View Post

Same thing in Russia. I didn't even know until recently that plain bread can be anything but vegan. Here, it's hard to find a non-vegan bread, actually. And the reason for that is that they don't add any additives to bread, the engridients are always very simple: just flour, yeast and salt, that's it, no sugar, no fat, no dairy or eggs. It's hard to find a plain bread that has more than 4-5 engridients. And it's always very delicious. I don't understand why would anyone need to add dairy or eggs to bread!?

But a couple of weeks ago, I decided to try some american toast bread, that they sell in many stores here. The list of engridients on the pack was at least 20-30 words long, half of which I didn't even know, there was dairy, and added fat and dextrose, all kinds of preservatives etc. And the thing is it tasted horribly, too sweet and artificial. I don't even know what's wrong with it exactly, it's just juck! The consistency was off, too soft and gooey.

I just don't understand why they have to add all this artificial stuff, when they can just use flour, water and yeast? It works with our bread...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluejeans84 View Post

Hi! Sorry if somebody already made a thread like this. Ever since I've gone vegan, I haven't been able to find any vegan bread. I've been living of Thomas Plain Bagels and Azteric Tortillas. Any suggestions?
Arnold 100% Whole Wheat Bread. I called them to ask about the mono and diglycerides and they said they are plant-based. I have found mine at Walmart other supermarket chains.

I just realized it is fortified with D3. >.< So, that's no good. Looks like I'm gonna be finding a new bread here.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystick_moonstone View Post

Arnold 100% Whole Wheat Bread. I called them to ask about the mono and diglycerides and they said they are plant-based. I have found mine at Walmart other supermarket chains.

I just realized it is fortified with D3. >.< So, that's no good. Looks like I'm gonna be finding a new bread here.
If it's this 100% whole wheat, it has whey and milk, but no D3.

ETA: Oh, maybe it is this one Grains & More 100% whole wheat? That does have D3, but still has the milk and whey.

·
Registered
69 Posts

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Ahh, I see. Why do they have so many different varieties of 100% whole wheat bread?
I wish they would drop the dairy from the Oatnut bread. I used to love that stuff!

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I use Ezekiel 4:9 bread for toast, sandwiches, etc. I have for years, even before I was vegan. It's simple, vegan, and healthy and doesn't have a load of extra junk added to it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlend View Post

I use Ezekiel 4:9 bread for toast, sandwiches, etc. I have for years, even before I was vegan. It's simple, vegan, and healthy and doesn't have a load of extra junk added to it.
Thanks Ashlend. I'll check that out! Can I get it at Whole Foods or Trader Joe's?

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystick_moonstone View Post

Thanks Ashlend. I'll check that out! Can I get it at Whole Foods or Trader Joe's?
I'm sure Whole Foods would have it. I've never been to Trader Joe's but they might have it too. Check the freezer section -- it's usually sold frozen.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Quote:

I'm sure Whole Foods would have it. I've never been to Trader Joe's but they might have it too. Check the freezer section -- it's usually sold frozen.
Well, shoot. I'll just take a look in the freezer section at the regular supermarket as well!

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I get bread at Trader Joes's. I know that is not available to all. Alvarado Street is a brand easy to find in Northern California. They use mostly sprouted wheat.

I know how hard it can be to find guaranteed vegan bread. Once in a large grocery store the only bread I could find which I knew 100% was vegan was sourdough. It's not my favorite except toasted but that's what I bought.

Try the breads in the bakery section but you have to be very careful. One local grocery store chain has bakery breads with 50 funky ingredients but they also sell some very simple vegan french breads.

·
Rat Queen/Mouse Matriarch
836 Posts
My grocery store carries Rudi's bread but it does cost a bit more, the simple ingredients make me happy so I don't mind the price. Link so you know what they look like: http://www.rudisbakery.com/
Quote:
Are Rudi's breads vegan?
Yes, Rudi's Organic breads are vegan with the exception of the following varieties that contain honey: Honey Sweet Whole Wheat, European Multigrain, Spelt Tortillas and Whole Spelt Tortillas.

Please note Rudi's Gluten-Free breads are not vegan, they contain egg white and organic honey.
There's also a bakery nearby that sells accidentally vegan bread at about the same price.

Came across a simple bread recipe that I'd like to try sometime: http://melomeals.blogspot.com/2011/0...eat-bread.html

·
Registered
57 Posts
Quote:

The regular supermarket in my area has Ezekiel in the frozen section. I let 3 or 4 slices thaw a few minutes and lightly toast em just to warm it. I like having it in the freezer because otherwise it is too easy to overeat bread, some breads seem like cake especially when putting toppings on em.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
The Kroger Value wheat bread is labeled as vegan. Whether you could actually consider it bread is another matter.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts